advertisement

Another LS3/5a story...

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Hoping the title didn’t put you off ( it obviously hasn’t ) I’d like to relate an up-to-date LS3/5a story.
Talking to Doug Stirling, I discovered he had the last pair of made up baffles of the type used in the Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5as.
To remind those who don’t know, Stirling Broadcast was commissioned to build the Anniversary LS3/5as.
Andy Whittle and John Bell were behind the Rogers, with Derek Hughes’ input on fine tuning the crossovers.
I believe the speakers were a Limited Edition.
They were reviewed by Ken Kessler in Hi-Fi News in ( I think ) 2008.
He was very enthusiastic about them.

Anyway, back to 2019.
I bought the baffles from Stirling and sourced a pair of genuine LS3/5a cabinets.
This evening I assembled the speakers and was really surprised how good they sound.
Many on this Forum know of my enthusiasm for LS3/5a and small speakers in general.
I have heard ( and owned ) many ‘3/5as, mostly with Kef drivers and also ( briefly ) a pair of
Stirling LS3/5a V2s.
These are as good as any I’ve heard.
Well done Doug Stirling and co.

Hoping the title didn’t put you off ( it obviously hasn’t ) I’d like to relate an up-to-date LS3/5a story.
Talking to Doug Stirling, I discovered he had the last pair of made up baffles of the type used in the Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5as.
To remind those who don’t know, Stirling Broadcast was commissioned to build the Anniversary LS3/5as.
Andy Whittle and John Bell were behind the Rogers, with Derek Hughes’ input on fine tuning the crossovers.
I believe the speakers were a Limited Edition.
They were reviewed by Ken Kessler in Hi-Fi News in ( I think ) 2008.
He was very enthusiastic about them.

Anyway, back to 2019.
I bought the baffles from Stirling and sourced a pair of genuine LS3/5a cabinets.
This evening I assembled the speakers and was really surprised how good they sound.
Many on this Forum know of my enthusiasm for LS3/5a and small speakers in general.
I have heard ( and owned ) many ‘3/5as, mostly with Kef drivers and also ( briefly ) a pair of
Stirling LS3/5a V2s.
These are as good as any I’ve heard.
Well done Doug Stirling and co.
Martyn did you get the fully assembled drivers and X0 on the baffles? If so which drivers are they?

Yes, I did.
They are the twin voice coil Monacors and the Scanspeak tweeters.
I have been doing some long term listening and these speakers are fantastic.

You my recall I built a pair of Falcon LS3/5a Kits a while ago.
My friend in Gloucestershire has them now, so I’ll take these Stirlings over to get his
opinion.
Neither of us do instant comparisons, just live with speakers for a while.

I wonder what Doug’s V3 model is like ?

Last edited:
Interesting. How might the Monacor/Scanspeak combo be an improvement over the original KEF drivers or the Falcon reproductions? Please get back to us when you and your friend have lived with them for awhile...

As to the Stirling V3, read an early review a couple or three months back - still nothing about them on the Stirling website, nor any sign of availability, certainly not in North America...

Cheers,
-Paul-

Hi Paul.

Doug Stirling is concentrating on the overseas markets.
He told me the first V3s went as demo. pairs to many dealers in the Far East.
I understand from him ( and others ) that the UK market is very small.
Nealy all of Falcon's run of the Kingwood Warren model were sold overseas.
Far East collectors will buy any new LS3/5a model to add to the dozens they already own...

Hi Paul.

Doug Stirling is concentrating on the overseas markets.
He told me the first V3s went as demo. pairs to many dealers in the Far East.
I understand from him ( and others ) that the UK market is very small.
Nealy all of Falcon's run of the Kingwood Warren model were sold overseas.
Far East collectors will buy any new LS3/5a model to add to the dozens they already own...

Well thanks Martyn. That’s an explanation, if not a happy one for North America...Graham on the other hand is getting a bit of push on this side of the Pond out of L.A and Montreal, Harbeth well-represented out of Toronto, Spendor seems to be getting some fresh energy on the Canadian side at least...

advertisement

Back