advertisement

Anodising

jagdesign

pfm Member
I've got some small aluminium (biggest is 70mm OD x 120mm long) prototype parts which I'd like to get anodised. 2 of the parts just need to be clear anodised, and the other 2 I'd like in an Apple'ish' Space Grey or the closest dye that is readily available.

I've managed to get small one-off parts done in the past for around £30, but I'm struggling to find anyone close to London who's willing to do a small run for not too much money, or at least stick the clear bits in with another run.

Does anyone have any contacts or know of a place that might be able to help? Or has anyone had any experience DIYing it?!

Ta in advance :)

I've used these before and they were pretty good.
Fax: +44 (0) 1322 335 868

Email: [email protected]

Address:

Star Anodising & Finishing Ltd
Unit 7 Power Works
Slade Green Road
Erith
Kent
DA8 2HY
United Kingdom

Had a go myself not bad results
loads of info on web but search for anodizing and anodising
as you can see from the pics its better done outside because of nasty fumes
always use de ionised water for mix and rinsing off
and its a good idea to have a eye wash bottle and sodium bicarbonate to neutralise any acid spills
power supply plugged in to a rcd socket
due to the small scale of my setup i had to run water into the washing up bowl with holes in the side to keep everything cool
20170502_153946 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20170502_150016 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20170502_151631 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20181129_124824_1543501671687 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr

Thanks for all the input guys. Glenn that looks like a tidy little setup and decent results.

I'm slightly reluctant to DIY it as all parts need to be visually consistent, and I don't fancy stripping to re-anodise. I could time to get to a point where I'm getting consistent results, but having watched a few vids last night, I think it's going to be a fair bit of hassle and I'm not going to doing much anodising after these parts.

Wylton, I had tried Star anodising who were very helpful, but recommended United, I'll give them another go.

Glenn that is brilliant, I assume it's like painting the pre preparation of the surfaces dictates the quality of finish?

advertisement

Back