advertisement

Annoying things to say to photographer

Neil P

pfm Member
I can take a decent enough photo, having learnt to compose, crop, choose aperture/shutter wisely, convert to mono when beneficial. I took a nice candid yesterday of family ... And was asked "you must have a really good phone" (it was on my cheap phone). That annoys me so much! Would you say to Van Gogh - wow you must have really expensive brushes! Or Shakespeare - your quill must be top of the range!

Sorry. Rant over

No, the most annoying ones have been- 'wow, that's a cool camera , will you sell to me ?' while I have been using it - Usu my ancient, mint Yashicamat. Happens with my inherited early 50s Braun Paxette set, too.

Subsequent chat usu, along lines of/while I'm at the waist level Yashi Finder on framing a potential shot:

Well - do you know what this family of TLR cameras are about, what this one is? what would you like to know?

No.

Any idea why I am using it at all/ here? It is an enjoyably-slow process to capture images , and requires a separate light meter; also still a bit of developed skill/judgement / luck ... you compose your shot upside-down,back to front and -

No.

..to get anything useful
BTW, any idea what what a very slow and expensive process this is, overall, to get a useful print ?

no.

Why then, do you want to buy my camera?
Hang on a mo, would you just piss-off out-of-frame? No ... considerably further
... not far enough;

no, further yet please... yeah, falling off the cliff edge will do.

Hey it looks coooool no, how much you want?!?

Cant' hear you. Just f.r.o

I get 'you must have a really good camera' quite often :mad:

Same here, as if my full-frame Pentax K1 and fast primes & zooms are the reason my photos are better than they take with their crappy phone camera!

What they don't know is that the real reason my photos are generally better than theirs is that I never, ever post photos without at least some basic post-processing - and it's amazing how much difference applying levels etc. can make!

I'd love to know the mark up on Leica's cameras!

Indeed - I very much enjoyed my recent dabble with a Leica (M-P 240), an itch I've wanted to scratch ever since I got into a photography as a teenager. A lovely thing to have in-hand, and very nicely built, it had the feeling of solidity which is all too rare in many modern products (IME). It was also nice to use...but so was my Nikon Df.

The '240 put out some great images (be it through Voigt or Leica glass) but the Df went toe-to-toe with it and in the majority of cases beat it. Low light? Jeez, the Nikon was in a different time zone.

What sealed it for me (and was the final nail for the 240) was upon looking for a flashgun, Leica sell a re-badged Nissin i40 for £400. A unit which is £140 or so for other systems.

Yes, I enjoyed it but unlike the Df, I don't regret selling the Leica gear on (and Df values are going up). :(

I'd love to know the mark up on Leica's cameras!

I doubt that the profit margin on each Leica camera is as much as you think. These are low volume niche cameras that are no doubt costly to manufacture.

The lens prices have been getting a bit ridiculous however. £6500 for the latest 50mm f2. They are no doubt beautifully made but I am not convinced they offer anything better optically than Voigtlander/Zeiss lenses that are a small fraction of the Leica price. If you really want to pixel peep in the corners might as well shoot MF.

Leica film cameras are the photographic equivalent of a Rolex and a joy to own. My M3 and 6 have doubled in value since I bought them about 10 years ago.

Annoying things to say to photographer

"Wrong lens mate ...."

I was at the World Cycling Championships in Oz in '09, and someone was using my camera to take a picture of me with a Tour De France winner's yellow bike. It was a micro 4/3 with 20mm lens, set to display in b&w even though capturing colour raw under the bonnet. The person taking the pic couldn't fathom there was no zoom or colour - they thought i was some kind of bumpkin from the dark ages. They were literally disgusted that I'd wasted their time with such old tech :)

' You can't come in here with that, looks like a professional camera to me'

Happened at Lords, The Oval, Buckingham Palace to name a few

I've had the reverse happen. I was at the G20 demo in London in 2009, taking photos of the protesters and the police when the police kettled the protest. I managed to blag my way through though as I had a Canon 1Ds with L lenses and the police presumed I was press :)

I was at the World Cycling Championships in Oz in '09, and someone was using my camera to take a picture of me with a Tour De France winner's yellow bike. It was a micro 4/3 with 20mm lens, set to display in b&w even though capturing colour raw under the bonnet. The person taking the pic couldn't fathom there was no zoom or colour - they thought i was some kind of bumpkin from the dark ages. They were literally disgusted that I'd wasted their time with such old tech :)

They asked "how do i zoom out - i said "with your feet". Mind blown :confused:

advertisement

Back