Animals in vinyl

nbaptista

pfm Member
I have three choices:
2011 remastered
2016 remastered
1977 original portuguess pressing
So, what is the best choice?

Yes, I can, at the shop. The shop turntable is fine, but the speakers are not so good. But I will try to ear tomorrow, let´s see.The record is just fine, no scratchs

I understand your dilemma, been there myself. What is the cost of the shop copy against the re-masters

Bloss

The original is no expense spared, but maybe not in Portugal. And I don't know how you'd tell.

OTOH the 2016 CD sounds much the same as UK original, but with less crackle.... If buying now, that's where I'd go, forget the vinyl.

I meant that it was recorded, engineered, cut and pressed to the highest standard and there is no good reason to prefer a modern repress. But we don't know how that translated into Portugal in 1977, which was a rather turbulent period.

If you must have vinyl then the 2016 is known good and should be reliable, and replaceable if the particular pressing is poor. Otherwise the remastered CD (was that really 2011?) is very fine.

I see Amazon UK have the 2016 vinyl for £14.90, so not much more in EUR.

Inspired by this thread, I got the 2016 Vinyl. It’s going back due as it’s warped and there’s a whooshing noise for the first 5 minutes. It’s probably my favourite Floyd album musically but am surprised it used to be a hi fi demonstration LP, I’ve always thought it sounded almost lo-fi (for want of a better word).
Though there were a couple of moments where I thought, “I haven’t heard that before”. I will get a replacement to see how that goes. Have only heard the 1994 CD and an old cassette for comparison but would imagine the 2016 vinyl would be the reasonable priced go to for this title.

advertisement

Back