Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Animals 2018 remix

Discussion in 'music' started by Muttley2, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

Animals never struck me as having a particularly 'busy' mix, so it'll be interesting to hear how it can be cleaned up.

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

It's 'cleaner' but not sure if it's actually better...........sounds like different instruments are being used! This is using Quboz.

leroyd likes this.
  3. leroyd

leroyd pfm Member

Maybe it is because original mix is so 'baked in' to my head after decades of listening, that I find this remix a difficult listen. Sonically it is undoubtedly an improvement, but as of yet for me, is not 'better' than the original mix. It feels that the essence of the album has been tampered with. I will continue to listen to the remix, so maybe for turning, but I doubt it. As for DSOTM, WYWH and the rest, I hope they leave well enough alone.

4. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Delivery #2 has arrived with only a very slight warp so it'll get a clean in the Humminguru followed by a very hot night in the Vinyl Flat to take the last bit out.

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

My record has arrived four days early, thanks to Bezos & co. I ordered it Friday evening after work, and selected the slow free-shipping option. They delivered it today, a Sunday. Guess I've got some listening to do tonight.

6. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

Dug out my old copy in light of the reissue to have a listen, and I'm (still) severely underwhelmed by it. The longer tracks just seem to drone on, with no imperative to them. Pigs on the Wing is just busker-level guitar strumming with vocal.

Clearly, I'm the odd one out.

leroyd likes this.
  7. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Animals isn't an album I know especially well, I've probably only listened to it two or three times, so I'm not best placed to notice the changes in the new remix. However, I listened to the original UK Harvest CD and 2018 Remix CD last night back-to-back and the remix smokes the original from a sound quality perspective. The blanket has been removed from Nick's drum kit, the improvement in clarity and dynamics is startling! I'd need to A/B each track forensically to spot all the differences but the main things that stuck out at me, other than the drums, were the removal of reverb from Water's vocal in the opening and closing tracks and the different placement of the barking dogs etc. I didn't notice anything massively controversial that would cause outrage to those who are wedded to the original mix...

8. leroyd

leroyd pfm Member

No you are not. I prefer the original mix, as I have listened to this mix for over forty years and that might have to do with my preference. Its as if the essence of the recording has been tampered with.

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just listened to the new surround mix (through my 4.0 speaker setup) and I thought it was excellent. Apart from some very dry vocals on Pigs on the wing 1 & 2, it was just excellent. Even somewhat revelatory!

10. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

The original was never one of my "goto" PF albums and has been played very little over the many years since release but this new (vinyl) mix I found quite uplifting and more musical so a bargain at the price.

However -

With all the money lavished on the technical and artistic sides to make a desirable product, why did they plonk it into a plain paper sleeve?

11. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Active Member

I bought the vinyl but it was noisy throughout particularly at the beginning of each side. I have now got a replacement copy but haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Mike at The In Groove mentioned he was having a lot of quality issues with this one at the beginning of this week’s ‘new arrivals’ video:

13. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

2nd copy sent back for refund, I'll stick with my original I think

14. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

I can clearly hear Roger Waters denying genocide in the left channel, so I've sent it back.

Paul Mc likes this.
  15. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

The only quality issues he seems to mention is with the original mix/mastering AFAICS? Is that what you meant?

16. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Listening now. It’s not just cleaner, it’s like a new performance. Animals has remained a firm favourite of mine since the day of release when I bought it, so this is something of a gift.

I cannot post without acknowledgment of @sideshowbob ’s post above though. I completely respect that point of view, but for me this is part of my childhood, and whatever RW’s views are today, this isn’t RW it’s PF. Hope that’s received in the way intended.

palindrome and sideshowbob like this.
  17. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

@ 13min 20sec.

18. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Ah, thanks.

ToTo Man likes this.
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Can you clarify this? I can’t remember much about Animals beyond at least one track was an obvious attack on Thatcher (Pigs I think). What was the ‘genocide’ thing? Waters strikes me as very much the liberal leftist, he’s very publicly supported Palestine, attacked Trump etc, in fact clips from his show are as overtly political as rock music gets. He certainly alienates a huge swathe of his US market, which is good to see.

20. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

He's an Assadist, and a useful idiot for Putin, he's a fellow traveller for fascism. An utter scumbag. His support for Palestine doesn't extend to opposing Assad, a mass killer of Palestinians. There is absolute nothing to admire in his politics, which are simple-minded red-brownism.

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/opinion/pink-floyds-co-founder-roger-waters-says-white-helmets-fake

https://www.fairplanet.org/editors-pick/roger-waters-undermines-syrias-last-shred-of-humanity/

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/09...op-roger-waters-concerts-over-ukraine-stance/

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210628-palestinians-tortured-to-death-by-assad-regime/

Paul Mc likes this.