advertisement

Andy's not sweating.

8e4

Queens favourite son by all accounts. Always rung true. A mother wants a first son to be a sturdy yeoman, not some willowy chap. Charles never became a pilot either. If yer a queen a helicopter is very handy getting from Windsor to wherever.

Queens favourite son by all accounts. Always rung true. A mother wants a first son to be a sturdy yeoman, not some willowy chap. Charles never became a pilot either. If yer a queen a helicopter is very handy getting from Windsor to wherever.
Charles learned to fly helicopters, and even jets. He gave up flying when found responsible for a Royal Flight BAe146 running off the runway. So perhaps not a particularly talented pilot, but not true to say he never became one, AFAIK.

Charles learned to fly helicopters, and even jets. He gave up flying when found responsible for a Royal Flight BAe146 running off the runway. So perhaps not a particularly talented pilot, but not true to say he never became one, AFAIK.
I’m proud to admit my grasp of royal history is a bit shaky. I thought he was more a navy chap. Could have captained an inflatable at some point.
I appreciate the royal family as a constitutional thing but, apart from the queen, it’s been a complete disaster in my lifetime. But I wish them the best for the next reset:)

I’m proud to admit my grasp of royal history is a bit shaky. I thought he was more a navy chap. Could have captained an inflatable at some point.
I appreciate the royal family as a constitutional thing but, apart from the queen, it’s been a complete disaster in my lifetime. But I wish them the best for the next reset:)

From wiki: "Charles served in the Royal Air Force and, following in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and two of his great-grandfathers, in the Royal Navy. During his second year at Cambridge, he requested and received Royal Air Force training, learning to fly the Chipmunk aircraft with Cambridge University Air Squadron. On 8 March 1971, he flew himself to the Royal Air Force College Cranwell to train as a jet pilot.[48][49] After the passing-out parade that September, he embarked on a naval career and enrolled in a six-week course at the Royal Naval College Dartmouth. He then served on the guided-missile destroyer HMS Norfolk (1971–1972) and the frigates HMS Minerva (1972–1973) and HMS Jupiter (1974). In 1974, he qualified as a helicopter pilot at RNAS Yeovilton, and then joined 845 Naval Air Squadron, operating from HMS Hermes.[50] He gave up flying after crash-landing a BAe 146 in Islay in 1994, for which the crew was found negligent by a board of inquiry.[51][52]

On 9 February 1976, Charles took command of the coastal minehunter HMS Bronington for his last ten months of active service in the navy."

advertisement

Back