advertisement

Android techie help needed

roman

pfm Member
Having just upgraded my phone from an old android handset to a google pixel 3a I have lost my old SMS's and whats app content.

Is there an easy way of overcoming this with the tools already at hand or do I need an App? In which case any recommendations?

There are options to back up WhatsApp messages to Google drive and the restore to new phone. Hit the 3 dots to right of WhatsApp select 'Settings' and then 'Chats'. You'll need to do the backup from old phone and then you can restore to new phone.

I couldn't find a way (doesn't mean it's not possible) to backup SMS messages from the Google 'Messages' app although it might be worth installing alternative SMS apps to see if any of them allow cloud back up.

--Ian

I have something on my phone called SMS Backup and Restore, which is probably a 3rd party app I installed once. I know it tells me it has done its job every morning, so it seems to work with no intervention.

Although I hear it being mentioned all the time I seriously don’t know what What’s App is or does, so can’t help there.

I have something on my phone called SMS Backup and Restore, which is probably a 3rd party app I installed once. I know it tells me it has done its job every morning, so it seems to work with no intervention.

Although I hear it being mentioned all the time I seriously don’t know what What’s App is or does, so can’t help there.
I'm a relatively new adopter of what's app. I guess it's a jazzed up version of SMS. It allows a text version of conference calls (not that I've ever had one of those nor felt the need!) amongst other things.

Someone else might sell it better.

Why backup text messages in the first place ?

Really important chats can be saved to a text file that you can leave somewhere on your PC. Why always have them at hand on your phone ? I see text messages as brief moments in life, when they're gone they're gone. Misunderstandings are frequent in chats, don't we have the right to forget ?

I have that on my phone and use it to keep a copy of some text messages just in case I need to refer to them again. It won't likely be of any use to restore the messages to your new phone but (if you haven't erased it) you could install it on the old one and do a backup of all messages, then install it on your new phone and copy that backup folder onto the new phone and restore from there.

As with Marchy I dunno about WhatsApp

...you could install it on the old one and do a backup of all messages, then install it on your new phone and copy that backup folder onto the new phone and restore from there.
That rings a bell... I seem to remember following some instructions I found on a ‘how to transfer everything to your new phone’ type site.

Why backup text messages in the first place ?

Really important chats can be saved to a text file that you can leave somewhere on your PC. Why always have them at hand on your phone ? I see text messages as brief moments in life, when they're gone they're gone. Misunderstandings are frequent in chats, don't we have the right to forget ?
It saves the bother of trawling through them to pick out the useful bits.

I also have an unresolved dispute with someone owing me money (that I must return to before statute of limitations runs out). Whilst I printed out the SMS exchange we had at the time it seems to me it might only be considered authentic if I can show it at source.

But your general point about being able to make mistakes and leave things be is a good one. We're a bit stuffed on this site tho!

advertisement

Back