advertisement

Andrew Weatherall RIP

One of my favourite DJs ever. Saw him many times at various nights in Liverpool (Voodoo amongst others). I’ve got a recording of one of his sets from Disted Twisco in the loft at The Masque (now the Arts Club). Brilliant, eclectic, hugely entertaining.
RIP Andrew.

I have to declare my sadness at the passing of someone that I was at school with in the late 70s.
We were friends that shared classes, detentions and music tastes. He was always heading in a different direction to the rest of us and I will always have a moment of pride stumbling across a remix of his in a charity shop or second hand shop.
Too soon to go.
Jono

One of my favourite DJs ever. Saw him many times at various nights in Liverpool (Voodoo amongst others). I’ve got a recording of one of his sets from Disted Twisco in the loft at The Masque (now the Arts Club). Brilliant, eclectic, hugely entertaining.
RIP Andrew.

Oh Man I'd completely forgotten about Voodoo! I did my PGCE in Liverpool in '96 and lived for the 051 or Le Bateau lol

Oh Man I'd completely forgotten about Voodoo! I did my PGCE in Liverpool in '96 and lived for the 051 or Le Bateau lol

I went to Voodoo a fair bit, pretty sure I saw Andy Weatherall there, saw The Orb at 051 (The Bhundu Boys too, but that wasn’t a club night!). There were some great clubs round that period, the epicentre being the short-lived G-Love at the Mardi.

Le Bateau was a great club, excellent indie nights as well as Voodoo. I played there a few times (indie, not Voodoo).

Voodoo is like the ‘60s; if you can remember it you weren’t really there;).

I loved Le Bateau. Getting from the dance floor in the basement to the bogs was always a bit of an adventure. I think the downstairs of Le Bateau is now a cafe bar of some description.

if you can remember it you weren’t really there;)

I know I first saw Andy Weatherall in Liverpool at the Academy, the summer before Cream started there, and even remember who I was in the long queue with, but little else. Was a big night out though.

From the year before, just had to listen to this again...

There can't be many album title tracks that aren't even on the album. Not much evidence of the band, just Leftfield's Paul Daley on percussion, more great Denise Johnson vocals, and a mellow ten minute groove from Andy.​

I saw him at voodoo too, we didn't get in at cream and went there instead, must have been 96, saw Ritchie hawtin there in 95.

The Orbit 93 - having grown up on 150bpm techno; Bolland, Vath, Beltram etc.
Weatherall comes on and plays half an hour of electro which blew my naive mind.
Saw him at Bloodsugar a couple of times too; a true original who will be sorely missed.

Smokebelch II in his Sabres guise, one of the first 12" I bought and one that is treasured. Lovely tune. I saw him DJ a few times in my yoof, most memorable (though I can't remember if he was actually DJing that night) was at Club UK - must have been around 92/93 ??, he was chatting with Danny Rampling and we had a little chinwag over a bottle of water. Sound as a pound. Way too young to go. RIP.

RIP Andrew.
Hi - I was the promoter of Disted Twisco. Unfortunately I lost my copy of this recording and would love to hear it again. Would you be willing to send me a copy? Cheers, Alex

Awful it all is. I shot some portraits of him a bit back for some work he was doing with the Hoga Nord label and it's just horrible seeing them everywhere announcing his death. RIP Mr Weatherall, a remarkable chap who went way too soon.

advertisement

Back