advertisement

Andrew Weatherall RIP

guey

pfm Member
From his management: "We are deeply sorry to announce that Andrew Weatherall, the noted DJ and musician passed away in the early hours of this morning, Monday 17th February 2020, at Whipps Cross Hospital, London. The cause of death was a pulmonary embolism. He was being treated in hospital but unfortunately the blood clot reached his heart. His death was swift and peaceful."

Thanks for the music, and the soundtracking of some of the best nights of my life

Terrible news, same age as me. Likewise seen him a few times, have many records he produced or remixed. RIP.

Sorry to hear that.

My finest 12" singles, I can play nearly the whole of Sreamadelica via 12"

Bloss.
PS: R6 on now.

Someone who spoke to him after a gig last week said he told them "He felt sh**" then wished the person "Happy birthday". For those who Andrew's name doesn't have a resonance you have almost certainly heard his work on TV or in films.

I went to see Andrew on New Year's Eve with Fiona Cartledge, who used to put on Sign of the Times acid house parties. He deejayed for five hours. Most of the set he was hunched over, eyes closed, listening to what he was playing. There was virutally no physical interaction between him and the audience in the warehouse, but the music was fantastic.

I learned about his death via a text from Helen Mead, who used to be the reviews editor of NME in the late Eighties. We'd been going to acid house parties and I'd got to know Weatherall well through Boys Own and Alex Patterson, who he was sharing a flat with in Battersea. Alex was getting The Orb together.

Helen and I pushed for more space in NME as acid house developed into techno. A club culture page was set up and we got Andrew to write for it under the name Audrey Witherspoon. Sometimes I'd go and pick up his copy, other times he'd bring it in.

Helen asked me to do an on-the-road piece on Primal Scream in the Spring of 1989. I ducked out of it because their first album, Sonic Flower Groove, was only okay. It didn't excite me like the music I was hearing in acid house clubs. Helen got Weatherall to do the piece instead.

Later in the year I stayed at Bobby Gillespie's in Brighton, as the music for Screamadelica was starting to come together. One Saturday we went to a rave in a tent in the country. Bobby had a DAT copy of 'I'm Losing More Than I Ever Have' with him. This song was on the band's self-titled second album, which the Boys Own football fanzine liked. Bobby tracked Weatherall down and gave him the DAT. This is what Andrew turned into Loaded, one of the era-defining moments.

By using samples and from the movie Wild Angels, The Emotions 'I Don't Want To Lose Your Love', Gillespie singing a line from Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues, set to a drum sample from an Italian Edie Brickell bootleg of 'What I Am', Loaded helped to launch Weatherall, Primal Scream and 'Screamadlica'.

"Just what is it that you want to do?
Well, we wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do
And we wanna get loaded and we wanna have a good time."

The last time I spoke to Andrew was about three years ago. I'd gone to somebody's birthday party at a club in Shoreditch. Afterwards I was standing on the pavement and heard somebody say "Hey Jack, how are you?" I turned around and it was Weatherall, although I didn't immediately recognize him. His hair had grown long and he had a beard.

We talked for a while to catch up. He asked me if I was doing anything concerning the growing acid house revival. I told him no, can't see the point. I asked him if he was. "No," he laughed, "that would be like reliving the Teddy Boys when acid house came along." He told me if I was ever in the area, I should give him a call. I wish I had.

Graham Sherman, who used to write for NME and deejays, has been writing a book on Weatherall for a fair number of years. I hope it sees the light of day. Weatherall's take on music in terms of original compositions, production and remixes is going to be around for a long time.

Weatherall was very funny and knowledgeable about many things, not just music. He was also a Chelsea FC supporter, I believe.

RIP Andrew. We definitely all got 'Loaded'.

Jack

Last edited:
I played "Stay Down" by 2 Lone Swordsmen for the first time in ages last night. Maybe it was a premonition. It's time for Screamadelica and Wilmot tonight. RIP Andrew, as in Rest In Parties.

Bummer...I did see him play a small gig in a field in Lincoln in 2013....I don't remember much to be fair. There was only about 200 people there, which was unusual for his celeb status I suppose, and he was talking to everyone before and after. He hung around the whole day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51535685

The man was a legend. What a shocking piece of news. His influence was huge, and he will be sorely missed. Far too young at just 56 years old.

RIP.

This. I remember when 'Loaded' came out we had a white label with no artist details at all on it and had to guess. We were all gob-smacked at (a) how good it was and (b) how it didn't sound at all like Primal Scream.

Some others wot I like.

Saw him lots of times, a great musician, producer and character. I've got quite a bit of his stuff from Sabres of Paradise, Stockwell Steppas and the recent solo stuff. A pox on the pioneers gets a few spins. Remember him playing rockabilly to almost an empty room at the Final Frontier at the Complex in London. Didn't stop him from tearing up the place!

Shame. I've never been a house/acid/whateveryoucallit fan as such but his name was synonymous with the whole scene.

I'll be digging out some of his remixes from the 12" collection.

Lovely post that too Jack.

This is really sad news indeed. I was a late comer to the whole Party scene but hit it hard in the 90's when I lived in Belfast and attended many of David Holmes 'Sugarsweet' nights. Like many club nights for many people these were legendary.....you had to queue for an age and were never sure you would get in. Once through the doors it was absolute hedonism and joy.
One stand out gig was 'Sabrers of Paradise' Live which I will never forget. The anticipation in the line outside and eventual energy when we got in, the band finally appeared and smokebelch kicked off. I'll not easily forget.

I saw AW DJ many times in Belfast and remember one evening coming back to my senses in a van on the way to an after party with my head on Weatheralls shoulder where I had passed out momentarily. Weatherall on one side and a scantily clad lady friend in a furry bunny bikini in the middle of winter......scenes lol.

RIP lad....

advertisement

Back