advertisement

Andrew Lloyd Weber - Variations (on a theme by Paganini)

Devonian

Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm
Anyone else a fan of the album "Variations" by Andrew Lloyd Weber?

Although the wiki says the album was released in '78, I'm sure I first bought the album around 1976/77 when I was a spotty 16. Having been exposed to to a lot of classical music as a kid, and at that time was just getting into prog-rock - I was captivated by the intense and clever fusion of classical and rock with riffs and melodies that just grab you by the balls! And it still gets a fairly frequent spin! Got to be my favourite ALW work.

If you don't know it, do yourself a favour and get a copy and crank it up loud! Here's who played on it ... Gary Moore and Herbie Flowers were outstanding!

Don Airey - Grand Piano, ARP Odyssey, Minimoog, Solina String Ensemble, Fender Rhodes Piano
Rod Argent - Grand Piano, Minimoog, Roland RS-202, Yamaha CS-80
Gary Moore - Gibson Les Paul, Rickenbacker electric 12 string Guitar, Guild acoustic, Fender Stratocaster
Barbara Thompson - Flute, Alto Flute, Alto & Tenor Saxophone
Jon Hiseman - Arbiter Auto-Tune drums, Paiste cymbals & gongs, Percussion
John Mole - Fender Precision Bass, Hayman fretless bass guitar
Julian Lloyd Webber - cello
Additional performers: Dave Caddick, Phil Collins, Herbie Flowers, Bill Le Sage, Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Enjoy!

.. and, to follow, a generous helping of

Colosseum (1990s) and Colosseum II (late 1970s)
Gary Boyle's Electric Glide album

Anyone else a fan of the album "Variations" by Andrew Lloyd Weber?

Although the wiki says the album was released in '78, I'm sure I first bought the album around 1976/77 when I was a spotty 16. Having been exposed to to a lot of classical music as a kid, and at that time was just getting into prog-rock - I was captivated by the intense and clever fusion of classical and rock with riffs and melodies that just grab you by the balls! And it still gets a fairly frequent spin! Got to be my favourite ALW work.

If you don't know it, do yourself a favour and get a copy and crank it up loud! Here's who played on it ... Gary Moore and Herbie Flowers were outstanding!

Don Airey - Grand Piano, ARP Odyssey, Minimoog, Solina String Ensemble, Fender Rhodes Piano
Rod Argent - Grand Piano, Minimoog, Roland RS-202, Yamaha CS-80
Gary Moore - Gibson Les Paul, Rickenbacker electric 12 string Guitar, Guild acoustic, Fender Stratocaster
Barbara Thompson - Flute, Alto Flute, Alto & Tenor Saxophone
Jon Hiseman - Arbiter Auto-Tune drums, Paiste cymbals & gongs, Percussion
John Mole - Fender Precision Bass, Hayman fretless bass guitar
Julian Lloyd Webber - cello
Additional performers: Dave Caddick, Phil Collins, Herbie Flowers, Bill Le Sage, Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Enjoy!

Yes it's a great LP and mine says 1978 on it.

Great - definitely one of the better compositions from ALW. The standard of musicianship and calibre of musicians is excellent for what must have always been a niche recording.

I have a vivid memory of our headmaster at the time (early 80's), a very stern gentlemen commenting on it to a group of us - much to our absolute amazement!

I have both vinyl and CD but never really made the comparison between the two in terms of a preference.

DMP

Misread your post, thought "I've got that, somewhere, I think" but I have Julian Lloyd Webber, Pieces, so another one to add to my "to buy" list.
Ta for the alert.

One of my first vinyl memories as a boy. I played it all the time when I was about 7, so 1980. I wasn't so much into the classical instruments, but hung on every note played on the moogs.. And that taste in music has never changed.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll tidal it tomorrow. :)

I bought it when it came out, and I also saw a performance of it at The Royal Festival Hall by the said musicians. I'm not sure if it was toured, a residency or just a solo gig.

I think his music is hideous, but it suits him.

Believe it or not, it's taken until this thread for me to realise it's credited to Andrew, the West End composer, and it's been on my shelf for years.

With the South Bank Show theme played on cello, and the name Lloyd Webber on the sleeve, all these years I'd just put it down as Julian's work ....

I think it was the first ever South Bank Show?

Wiki says the album reached #2 in the UK chart.

Apropos of nothing I worked for a while at the London Television Centre some time ago and two striking memories are the hordes of Blind Date hopefuls in reception and the row of closed doors to edit suites each with a label for the South Bank Show and a particular episode.

Paul

It took me 4 attempts to get a playable copy, and I wasn't the only one. Rice crispies had nothing on that album. Even so I occasionally play it.

advertisement

Back