advertisement

And so it begins...

Sounds like a lot of hardware and work opposed to a couple of cuts with a saw.

Pete

It's the way I like it ;-)

TBH I did try kerfing in with a test piece but could not get the glue line as tight as I wanted as I was not veneering after lipping. Paul has a little more leeway.

Gareth was that with the scarf joint?
An angled butt joint between the two pieces being so much shorter will be easer to do, most of it will be covered by the veneer.

Pete

Gareth was that with the scarf joint?
An angled butt joint between the two pieces being so much shorter will be easer to do, most of it will be covered by the veneer.

Pete

Yes, the scarf joint was what I was referring to. The rest I just used a saw and finished with a plane.

Veneered most of that joint would be covered, a butt joint would only be visible in the front edge and chamfer.
And be easier to do.

Pete

Thanks guys for all the above, I'm going to go with a simple angled butt joint. I think I can cut the angle pretty accurately on my Makita SCMS, it's just shy of 5 degrees on each piece, will do a test first to ensure the two pieces mate perfectly. To that end I've ripped some 25mm X 19mm strips for each side panel (and some 5mm for the top). This weekend I hope to get the leather fitted, cut the side panels and get the lipping fitted. Let's see how that goes.

Fitting the leather is a two person job if it's done properly. You'll need to stretch it a little. Once fitted, do try avoid getting glue or scratches onto the surface. It mars easily.

I've stopped using real leather, I now use recycled upholstery leather. Its much more like fabric to deal with and so much easier to apply which I normally do under vacuum. Indistinguishable from the real thing and MUCH cheaper.

Fitting the leather is a two person job if it's done properly. You'll need to stretch it a little. Once fitted, do try avoid getting glue or scratches onto the surface. It mars easily.

My good lady is already forewarned! Unfortunately I don't have any spare to do a test but I think I have a good feel for what's required.

After reading your post I've had a rethink on fitting the leather at this stage, I'll hold off for a while now as there are many things that can be done without the leather needing to be in place. In fact I may be able to postpone for a good couple of weeks while I work on the outer panels etc.

Today I cut said panels to size and added the lipping on the top edge. Man 'flu has a hold on me now so that may be it for this weekend, hopefully the large dose(s) of single malt will work wonders overnight...

Two months or so in and I'm now deeply regretting starting this build. I've done so much but it feels like the end just keeps staying as far away as ever. Mentally I'm done and I need to take a break from these as I can't even sleep anymore for thinking about how to do 'the next thing'.

My latest MDF mask broke this morning, I'm taking it as a sign to stop and just enjoy Christmas. Hopefully more positive news in the New Year but on hold indefinitely for now.

Yes, have a break, bounce back in the New Year refreshed and roaring to go. I am sure the end result will be worth it, hang onto that thought.

Two months or so in and I'm now deeply regretting starting this build. I've done so much but it feels like the end just keeps staying as far away as ever. Mentally I'm done and I need to take a break from these as I can't even sleep anymore for thinking about how to do 'the next thing'.

My latest MDF mask broke this morning, I'm taking it as a sign to stop and just enjoy Christmas. Hopefully more positive news in the New Year but on hold indefinitely for now.

This is how all big one person projects are. When the end comes it just happens with no wind down. Try to correct errors as you go, because failures at the end are very emotionally stressful. This will make a project longer but at the end it just 'works'. You are right to take a break whenever. I have made a few speakers, and you spend 1/2 the time making the tools, to make the jigs, to make the parts...

Paul,

Loudspeaker DIY can be very all-consuming. It is normal to feel the way you do. The important thing is the journey should be just as enjoyable as the destination. If you're not having fun because you are tired, stressed or worried about other things, they will happily wait until you are ready to enjoy building them again.

The down-side is they do take up a fair bit of room and so you may have some pressure to get them over and done with. I hope this is not something you have to grapple with as well, because that will undermine your efforts and quality.

If it is any consolation, I don't think Gareth has finished his own pair yet either. Good things take time. I assure you they will be worth the effort. In the meantime, take some time off for yourself and enjoy the Christmas festivities.

James

Hi Paul, I have to say your post definitely resonated with me. I had many moments like this and had to drop it for a few days or even weeks to get re-invigorated.

Do not underestimate it, this is a challenging build even for experienced builders. As James mentioned, I am still in my 3 year pause before finishing ;-) Thanks James!

Get past Christmas and New year and drop me a line, maybe we can meetup and talk through the next stages and where to go next. It is meant to be fun so if it's not, stop for a bit.

Firstly Happy New Year to all! Secondly thank you for all the posts of encouragement above, I was really at rock bottom with the build when I last posted. As ever some time has allowed a little more perspective, it's only meant to be fun after all! I should address the points raised so....

Yes, have a break, bounce back in the New Year refreshed and roaring to go. I am sure the end result will be worth it, hang onto that thought.

I'm sure the result will be worth it and there isn't any real rush other than the need to satisfy my terrible impatience!

This is how all big one person projects are. When the end comes it just happens with no wind down. Try to correct errors as you go, because failures at the end are very emotionally stressful. This will make a project longer but at the end it just 'works'. You are right to take a break whenever. I have made a few speakers, and you spend 1/2 the time making the tools, to make the jigs, to make the parts...

I think you've hit the nail on the head here as I'm approaching the part where any errors in construction will show and be there to niggle away permanently. I have to fight my natural impatience and tendency to rush so that I do things methodically and try to plan out the chance of cockups. Knowing that the most difficult stretch is still ahead adds pressure and was partly the reason for my mini-meltdown.

Paul,

Loudspeaker DIY can be very all-consuming. It is normal to feel the way you do. The important thing is the journey should be just as enjoyable as the destination. If you're not having fun because you are tired, stressed or worried about other things, they will happily wait until you are ready to enjoy building them again.

The down-side is they do take up a fair bit of room and so you may have some pressure to get them over and done with. I hope this is not something you have to grapple with as well, because that will undermine your efforts and quality.

If it is any consolation, I don't think Gareth has finished his own pair yet either. Good things take time. I assure you they will be worth the effort. In the meantime, take some time off for yourself and enjoy the Christmas festivities.

James

I think it's very easy to lose sight of how much goes into this build (more on that later as I've not entirely downed tools over Xmas) and to just keep pressing on without taking a break. I'd say I've worked as hard on this (if I include all the thinking time!) as I have at work over the last few weeks and it all adds up to leave you fatigued and a little resentful.

As far as room for storage goes I'm lucky to have a heated outbuilding that the cabinet cores are currently ensconced in. The veneered sides and backs are currently leaning against my LP collection in my office, I may have to relocate these to avoid any mishaps in the short term.

Having got as far I have now I can only marvel at Gareth's efforts in building two pairs. I know the second pair aren't complete and there are some 'economies of scale' with doing two of something but still it's quite a feat!

Hi Paul, I have to say your post definitely resonated with me. I had many moments like this and had to drop it for a few days or even weeks to get re-invigorated.

Do not underestimate it, this is a challenging build even for experienced builders. As James mentioned, I am still in my 3 year pause before finishing ;-) Thanks James!

Get past Christmas and New year and drop me a line, maybe we can meetup and talk through the next stages and where to go next. It is meant to be fun so if it's not, stop for a bit.

When I look back at your original build thread I realise now that you had several gaps where work and life intervened and it was actually over a year in completing Tony's pair of Egos. If I may I'm going to allow myself to feel a little smug that I'm not quite 3 months in and I've done a fair bit, even if I'm only building one pair ;) I'm sure you'll one day get the urge to complete your pair, besides you need to solve the mysterious lack of bass when you had Tony's pair in your system.

I really appreciate your kind offer of help, Gareth. I set out to do this partly to end up with a great pair of 'speakers and partly to prove to myself that I could complete the build and overcome the challenges satisfactorily. To that end I really want to get to the end by myself if I can. That said I know we should never be afraid to ask for help where we need it so I'll keep your kind offer in mind if I may. There are some aspects of the next steps that are concerning me and I'll post some details here in the coming days. In the meantime I should update on where I got to before Christmas and the 'sub-project' that's been keeping me from too many mince pies in the last week or so...

advertisement

Back