advertisement

Analogue stage quality in digital playback

gustav_errata

pfm Member
I've seen it mentioned here that the quality of the analogue output stage in a DAC or cd player is just as important as the digital conversion stage. But not having any technical experience in these matters, I'm curious about what that means. What does a better analogue stage bring to the table, assuming the digital conversion is competent and low-noise etc?

It's basically a filter often with a buffer tagged on the end. Others can give more detail than me.

I can only comment on the Naim CD3.5 that I use. The dac chip is not highly regarded and has onboard opamps at the output. Naim stuck a seven pole bessel filter on the end. It is the source of the Naim sound in this player. After I bypassed it I was amazed at the extra detail on offer and the complete absence of the in your face, enamel stripping grit that spoilt the stock player. All imo of course.

The sound can be steered in a particular direction by the anologue stage. I prefer very simple affairs - they just let more of the musical message and emotion through and that is more important to me.

advertisement

Back