advertisement

Analogue Man, Retired. (Simon Yorke)

I hope the Library of Congress have the means and staff to be able to service and maintain those special turntables - there seems to be quite a rack of electronics underneath that is probably more difficult to maintain than the mechanics. And a supply of belts too!

I think that is the problem. Many who know music and how it is supposed to sound and played in venues like the Wigmore Hall or Kings Place with a good acoustic etc cannot relate to the sound made by modern Hi-Fi. They are looking for something better that sounds natural that they can relate too, and a lot are prepared to pay to get it.
‘Many’? It’s such a small niche that you cannot build a viable business around it. I think you are being a bit of a snob, which is fine, quite a few of us on here are (me included) but I recognise other types of musical engagement.

An awful lot of live music isn’t blessed with great acoustics. I really dislike the moralistic tone of his viewpoint, so what if people have smart phones (over 80% of phones sold are this way) it’s like complaining that people no longer wear spats.

Audio.png

Not bad...somehow muddled up with Arthur though?

I got the feeling that compression in production and the tiresome autotune shite which teenage girls (especially) do listen to were his targets, and I agree. I find it hard to listen to most radio stations these days. Probably just age, and at 5* I struggle with eyesight, memory for techniques and dexterity in my cupboard-workshop so I know where he's coming from. You work so hard, and sometimes when an enquiry comes to nothing or a paint application goes wrong it can be frustrating.

If you can't be a grumpy old man in the world of high end analogue audio, where can you?

However, I read this as a personal note of a man who's done some great stuff and is now trying to come to grips with time, old age and not being as physically able as before and in that regard, yeah, I empathize and wish Simon all the best. It's a journey we all are on, but at different stages.
Well said. I can identify with some of Simon's sentiments. However, I'd very much like to stave off grumpy old man syndrome for as long as I can.

I would imagine he could possibly be described as 'on the spectrum'
I've watched him a few times on YT and have always wondered if he's in the autism spectrum, or on substances.

Probably the only piece of hi-fi I'd be just about willing buy as a decorative item, love his designs to bits.

I can’t be a real music lover as I’ve just spent the last hour listening to hi res Flac & now enjoying a spot of Radio Paradise.

I do wish him a happy retirement, hopefully he’ll content himself with enjoying the music he loves.

I wondered why I'd seen quite a few of his turntables crop up on Ebay just recently, I quite like how they look to be fair. Which is ironic given they look quite modern and here he is shouting at the clouds like grandpa Simpson.

I hope the Library of Congress have the means and staff to be able to service and maintain those special turntables - there seems to be quite a rack of electronics underneath that is probably more difficult to maintain than the mechanics. And a supply of belts too!

I'm sure they will be able to look after these in the future assuming the electronic components are available, I doubt there's anything exotic or foo used in them. In my opinion they're not at all like "A Level Metalworks projects", (was that even ever an option?), just well put together turntables that also look good. I don't know about art, but I know what I like and don't like....£22 grand fruit boxes for instance.

Simon may well be on a "spectrum" but thats probably a good thing when you're considering the future use and longevity of your products, giving detailed advice on cord replacement comes to mind in respect of the transcription units:

"Drive cords: The platter drive cords are one-piece mouldings of neoprene rubber. The specification is ID360 x 1,6mm section (thickness). Whilst it is always preferable to replace a worn drive cord with a new one, an effective repair to a broken cord can be made as follows: square off the broken ends of the drive cord and bond together with a small drop a cyano-acrylate adhesive (super-glue). This bond will effect a temporary repair to keep the turntable operational until a new replacement cord can be obtained. The butt joint just described is simple, effective and fast. A better joint is the 'scarf joint: this involves splicing the two ends of the cord at an angle of approximately 45 degrees. The scarf joint is a more reliable joint and offers greater longevity but is more difficult to make and dislikes bending around small diameters.

If it is not possible to obtain an original drive cord, a workable drive cord can be made by purchasing a one metre length of 1,6mm (or 1/16") neoprene 'o'-ring cord and splicing it into a ring as described above.

Please note that whilst the exact internal diameter of the drive cords is not so critical, the cross-section (or thickness) of the cord is important. A thicker section of cord will cause the turntable to run fast and a thinner section will make the turntable run slow - so, stick to the 1,6mm (1/16") section cord specified.

The drive cords will stretch with age but the adjustable nature of the motor drive system means that drive cord life can be extended simply by moving the motor further from the platter, or vice-versa."

I think he comes across as an arrogant and opinionated man with little empathy for or understanding of an evolving world. So what if he made some ok turntables.It doesn’t mean he has the right to generalise about and diss the young. An assumption that what kids listen to is crap? My son and daughter listen to a great range of music. Like me, it’s a mixture of what I listened to as a child and growing adolescent with more modern stuff thrown in. Not impressive really. And dare I say, good riddance.

Last edited:
I thought he had retired not long after relocating to Spain, I think it was after the 2008 crash, so I'm surprised to hear he's obviously kept going till now. Unless I got this all wrong

Simon Yorke S7 review, with interview - first published 1998:
https://www.stereophile.com/turntables/598yorke/index.html

I like the approach; always have; as much as I ever wanted a TT - it was always to be, one of these. Not now. And - as GT commented - to get the LoC commission was no small thing!

As for the rest of uncomprehending - '' on the spectrum ' being perhaps the most sympathy in above comments above(!!) - It tends to be only extraordinary people, who pursue extraordinary approaches; v. obviously no-one else has to agree: so equally - don't complain loudly if you don't understand or agree - go and pursue those things you do.

And consider how the converse might appear, to such a maker.

So: I don't entirely agree - but fully understand where the final comment originates.

Last edited:
Simon had me when he talked about needing stadium lighting to see anything and the perils of implicitly trusting a fart, but he lost me when he disparaged the yout’ and commented about young women being glued to phones. Old people are just as bad, and their use of emoticons on phones is egregious and preposterous.

Joe

I've watched him a few times on YT and have always wondered if he's in the autism spectrum, or on substances.

Probably the only piece of hi-fi I'd be just about willing buy as a decorative item, love his designs to bits.

Congrats! You are full blown neurotypical and boring! :D

S.

advertisement

Back