advertisement

Analogue Innovation's new arm board

kanwar

pfm Member
I think that Linn have changed the am board on the LP 12 more than any other integral part of the turntable and I’ve never really been a fan of them due to their inconsistency. I always had it in mind to knock one up of my own using some kind of exotic sold wood like my plinth (Indian Rosewood) but it only remained an idea. The best Linn arm board IMO was the 4 layered version which I found to be much sturdier that the later version with the new Linn logo. And it was the 4 layered arm board that I had attached to the Sole Subchassis. Earlier today I swapped this over for Analogue Innovation’s new arm board, trying to keep everything as consistent as possible, ie: removing the Ekos with the counter weight attached, leaving the tracking weight and anti-skating as is and the arm even bolted to the arm collar (at the risk of knackering it) and simply unscrewing the 3 bolts attaching the base of the arm collar from the arm board.
I must say the workmanship on the AI arm board is first class. Its black anodised aluminium finish has a subtle silver edge making it a piece of cake to line up with the plinth. I used the same bolts for the Ekos and also the same bolts supplied by AI to attach the arm board to the Sole. I did everything up nice and tight but didn’t go nuts in the process. The top and bottom surfaces are solid and they don’t distort like the Linn arm boards do when you tighten them, I guess, too much. But I did feel that I could apply more pressure tightening the AI arm board than the Linn boards. After the whole thing was levelled out I noticed that the arm board sits perfectly within the plinth. The Linn boards were inconsistent in this respect because almost all of them were slightly off by about a mil’. Being a person that works with lines, pens and camera equipment this was enough to be a long term niggly annoyance.
The sound: Without beating too much about the bush, is knockout! Before the arm board swap I played All I Want and My Old Man from Blue by Joni Mitchell and the title track from Roxy Music’s Avalon. They sounded really good but they sounded so much better with the new arm board, I never realised just how multi layered the initially simple sounding All I Want is. And from the album Avalon I was never really keen on the whole LP but I like the title track. After it finished I let it play to the end and then I flipped it over and played the other side. It’s quite a good album after all. The over all presentation on everything I’ve played is that much more three dimensional; and even from the kitchen (when I managed to tear myself away) I could tell that something special was going on. The new arm board together with the Sole Subchassis is a superb up grade for the LP12. Considering the current economic situation, it makes sense over the very expensive Linn Keel.
Now I’m going to put some Earth Wind and Fire on and chuck some wine in the goulash.
Cheers!

Please tell me more...
As a very satisfied owner of a Mk V Sole, I am very interested to hear a little more on on this upgrade and it compatibility with the Mk V.

Does it bolt to the Sole through the top of the arm board or through the bottom (thus hidden).

cheers
Mark

Thanks for the feedback Kanwar and your intererest Mark..

Interestingly Kanwars thoughts are very similar to hifistans off the hi-fi critic forum as shown below..

Analogue innovation LP12 arm board feedback.

It was obvious on the first cut that it was a big improvement. I was very happy with the sound I had been getting (before I installed your arm-board) but it was a perfect example of not knowing what you are missing till you hear it. EVERYTHING is better now; the definition is really striking. I had an original Linn board from the70s and I have to assume that it was really holding back the Sole as it is hard to credit the new board alone for the improvement. I was expecting it to be better but this is way beyond any thing I would have imagined. The most improvement for the money I have ever had and this would be true if it cost 10x as much. Stan

Yes, it moves the Sole on a great deal more.

Regards.

John R.

Hi Mark, it bolts to the Sole from the top. To be honest I was a bit disappointed when I learned that this is the arrangement, I would have (and was anticipating) something where you couldn’t see the joins, so to speak. But the sound is that much more improved that I don’t really give a damn. Incidentally, I used some plastic caps to cover the bolt heads with the Linn arm board but I prefer not to use them with AI board, I like the way it looks as is.
I’m afraid my digital SLR got busted but I’ve got a role of film I want to use up in an analogue camera (much better quality but not as practical), so I’ll try and get s some pics to you asap.

The arm board still isn't listed on Analogue Innovations web site. Is it available to all yet and do you know its price?
Cheers Muzz

The attitudes of 'Linnies' fascinates me. Are you saying that after 30 years they still can't make a decent armboard? Sounds like the 'keel' scenario where they got SME to make them a proper aluminium chassis, twenty years after SME introduced one on their very first deck. Still, they get away with it, so keep shelling out the cash guys. More 'improvements' to come, no doubt.

When is this available to order John? How much, and with what cut outs?

Richard (currently using an old SME arm board for the trial fit of his 774 :))

The arm board still isn't listed on Analogue Innovations web site. Is it available to all yet and do you know its price?
Cheers Muzz

When is this available to order John? How much, and with what cut outs?

Richard (currently using an old SME arm board for the trial fit of his 774 :))

Apologies Gents. I must update the website. Our arm-boards are intended to fit all versions of Sole sub-chassis and are available now in Linn, Rega, SME and Naim Aro cuts.

Cost is £90 to all Sole customers. As with Sole sub, you won't be dissapointed.

Regards

John R

Hi John,

Looking at the pictures on the Sole mkVI tab of the web site, can I asume that only owners of the latest Sole can utilise the new arm board with hidden fixings (I can't remember off the top of my head what version I have). If so can older Soles be modified to allow fixing of the armboard from below as in the picture?

Yes wylton, all earlier Sole variants can be modified to take the hidden fixings, though I still maintain the through bolt means of attachment has the edge on sound quality.

Regards

John R.

Thanks Mark, that's very kind of you to say.

One piece ally? No, it's the same construction as the Sole - structural grade ally with my proven mdf core and adhesive bonding technique.

Please pass on my regards to Derek, nice guy - it's a great shame I completely misunderstood him.

Regards

John.

I fitted a Sole V using my Linn armboard. I was really impressed and decided to get the Ai board as well as the Linn board just looked so basic against the quality and finish of the Sole. The Ai board has the same build quality and rigidity as the Sole, it's black sheen finish is smoother and more reflective than the Linn and imo looks smart. Of more significance though has been it's performance. I've been genuinely stunned by the difference the Ai board makes, especially the depth, power and control of bass compared to the standard Linn armboard. Given the relatively small price difference over a drilled and fitted Linn board imo it's a no brainer to order a Sole with the Ai armboard. Steve

Thanks Steve - it's no subtle improvement that's for sure. Glad you like!

Regards.

John R.

advertisement

Back