advertisement

An original Blue Note LP? • music and sound unbelievably good

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
In a lockdown one day is scarcely different from the next, unless your neighbour happens to give you out of the blue a Blue Note LP — Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell with Stanley Turrentine, Major Holley Jr, Bill English and Ray Barretto.

817xu%2BxOBpL._SL1500_.jpg

The outer jacket is in much better condition than the one in the photo above, but that's what it looks like. On the LP's lead-out groove is BNST-84123-AX.

From that number I don't know if it's an original issue or a re-issue — this is one of those things Tony likely can answer in his sleep — but it's in excellent condition and the music and sound are exceptional.

This might be my first original Blue Note LP. If this is any indication of the sound quality these Blue Note pressings I can see why they're so highly sought after. Wow, just wow.

It sure made my day and, honestly, what a recording.

Joe

A truly superb album! If it’s the two-tone blue label as linked above they tend to be good, a bit of a sleeper in many cases as they lack the classic Blue Note label design. Has it got a ‘Van Gelder’ or ‘RVG’ stamp in the run-off? They could still be found even this late n some titles, but likely not on a record that sold as well as Midnight Blue. Whatever, its going to be a very decent fully analogue pressing regardless.

Yes, it is a great record and I gave it a proper listen last night with the lights dimmed. It's all excellent, but the first track — Chitlins Con Carne — really stands out.

Using the info from the links — thanks, dudes — it's not an original issue, likely a re-issue from the 1970s, but it still sounds amazing.

Joe

In a lockdown one day is scarcely different from the next, unless your neighbour happens to give you out of the blue a Blue Note LP — Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell with Stanley Turrentine, Major Holley Jr, Bill English and Ray Barretto.

We could all do with neighbours like that :)

Mike,

Apparently a couple more Kenny Burrell records will be left at the doorstep later today.

I sometimes shovel his driveway in the winter when he's away. I think I could easily live with this arrangement — will shovel snow for jazz.

Joe

P.S. Ice cream, ice cream for crow?

Apparently a couple more Kenny Burrell records will be left at the doorstep later today.

I sometimes shovel his driveway in the winter when he's away. I think I could easily live with this arrangement — will shovel snow for jazz.

Lucky you.

If you feel the need to buy yourself an LP of Kenny Burrell the Tone Poet release of Introducing Kenny Burrell is very, very good.

Steve,

Roger wilco. I think a second, tighter lockdown will happen soon, so this might be a record I’ll have to acquire through the sweat of my brow.

Joe

...this might be a record I’ll have to acquire through the sweat of my brow.

Joe
When shovelling, take your stick - the one you wave at skateboard punks - with you. Every so often put down the shovel, lean heavily on the stick, breathe deeply and mop your brow. Then put your hand on the small of your back and arch backwards, muttering something about getting too old for this. If you can time this perfectly so your neighbour sees the performance that should up the ante to some vintage Mingus albums.

Marchy,

If it gets me some Mingus, I’ll slip a disc or two. Really, who needs an aligned spinal column?

Joe

Blue Note records generally sound excellent, I have the Kenny Burrell album on CD & it sounds great.

I have a few reissues from the 90’s & they are generally a cut above, far more consistent than, say, Riverside or Columbia.

Great album! I could wait years here in the West Country to shovel snow from my neighbours path! (I don't think he has any Jazz in any case.)

Lovely music on that album. I have the BN75 which unfortunately is v. poor quality, I must get a better copy. I was hoping that it would be released as part of the Tone Poets series...

advertisement

Back