advertisement

An Impression of Miles Davis

I am unclear about whether it is OK on pfm to quote only part of a quote when replying. Now that I have seen Tony L do it I will do so more often, because I think it leads more effectively to the point (or points) that one wishes to reply to.

It is perfectly fine, but *please* learn the syntax rather than just blindly hacking away and leaving malformed posts!

Did the Crusher have a beard? Did he wear a hat? Did Eric Dolphy write a tune about him referencing the above? I rest my case.

No.

Yes.
IMG_5726_2efb4d89-23ce-4647-a646-61c3c6414143_1024x1024.JPG

No but Cecil Taylor once described him as "That Crazy cat who swings like a mutha..." ;)

Thanks I looked in on YouTube and found this playing of a Monk tune at the House of Tribes. It is well done and rather like some of what I saw in the Usher Hall.

GREEN CHIMNEYS PT. 1 - YouTube

Delighted to listen to this again. Thanks. Not only does he push against boundaries...he creates new ones that few trumpeters are capable of reaching let alone crossing.

Another noteable thing about Marsalis is that he went out of his way to sponsor young musicians- most notably Roy Hargrove (sadly deceased).

If you haven't seen Roy Hargrove 'Live at a Vienne' (I may have the title slightly wrong - but close enough for jazz) on u tube it is a fabulous big band performance. I must have heard and watched it at least 5 times already from start to finish, and never tire of it. That band contained so many fine musicians and soloists. The most outstanding of all of them is Montez Coleman: drummer extraordinary. His timing is exceptional, syncopation dramatic: ability to keep that big band together no matter what ...dynamics subtle sensitive yet forceful...solos unbelievable- and - an incredible showman to boot. I had never heard of him. What a pity that this concert was never available as a record. Nor, so far as I know, was that band (with Coleman) ever recorded other than at that concert.

Search You Tube for 'Roy Hargrove Big Band'. This brings you to the fabulous conert I refer to.

advertisement

Back