Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

An Impression of Miles Davis

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Suffolk Tony, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

2. eguth

eguth pfm Member

Better than a lot of the real Miles Davis.

Bob McC and Suffolk Tony like this.
  3. narabdela

narabdela who?

Have you written a Will and settled your affairs? :D

martin clark and MarkW like this.
  4. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

And I hoped the exciting title meant we would be watching your rendition of Freddie Freeloader Tony!

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  5. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

It's in the dorian mode of the key of eflat - I have the album.

6. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

That’s even better than Miles Davis’ impression of the Doors.

Tarzan, Hook, martin clark and 4 others like this.
  7. eguth

eguth pfm Member

I have happily taken stick for my opinions about Miles Davis and (some of) his music for well over half a century.

He was excellent when it came to picking superb sidemen and arrangers.

He was saturated with sexism (judged by his behaviour).

His ability as a trumpeter drops into the shadows compared with great trumpeters.... Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard and many others. Arguably he is not even not in the same class.

Thats my opinion. Now shoot me down...I'm well used to it.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

He knew when to play, what to play, and what not to play. He also led the way producing some of the most important and influential music of the 20th century. Music should never be about technique, that mindset led to all the awful ‘widdly widdly widdly’ hair metal and fusion of the ‘80s. Miles understood that perfectly.

PS By doing a passible Miles impression (including understanding how much is enough) the door upthread exists on a higher intellectual plane than 92.4% of rock music. I certainly rank it higher than say Led Zeppelin.

martin clark likes this.
  9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

As much as I like Miles Davis he wasn’t the best of players but he didn’t need to be; he served his music.

10. eguth

eguth pfm Member

The most technically proficient trumpeters in past came from Cuba. Raphel Mendez is one, though as far as I know, he did not play jazz. He ran technical rings around everyone else I have heard.

A modern example of a trumpet 'genious' is Wynton Marsalis. His (blindingly great) technique is never used to show off- and always compliments the music. So many young trumpeters I have heard are outstanding, and show great promise.

Miles, on the other hand, decided to (as they say) 'lay out' (i.e. not blow his horn) when he realised that his techincal ability was too challenged. Credit to him in this respect.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

He has spent an entire life being ultra-safe, conservative and traditional though, the polar opposite of Miles who kicked at every boundary and created whole new genres. Marsalis plays the music of the past, Miles never did that, and never even liked returning to things he had created from nothing himself.

Wilson, narabdela and Weekender like this.
  12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

Wynton Marsalis has a very, very fixed view on what 'Jazz' is. Luckily, it is not a view shared by everyone.

13. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

Comparing Wynton Marsalis to Miles is a bit like comparing Bobby Crush to Thelonious Monk

14. herb

herb music live

I saw him at the Usher Hall a couple of years ago. It was OK but the inclusion of Nicola Benedetti on violin was excellent.

I suppose that Miles' private life was the polar opposite of that of Marsalis. I do like the first Marsalis CD though, not the rest.

15. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

The fact that this thread has lasted for over 48 hrs and 15 posts outside of the music section perhaps says something!

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

No contest - Thelonious couldn't even do that number with a piano *and* a typewriter and smile. :)

17. Minio

Minio Not flakey and never soggy ...

?
    I don't know about that. I rather dug the Bobster's hard bop and modal excursions.
    The cat was a cool one.

Paul L and sideshowbob like this.
  18. eguth

eguth pfm Member

[QUOTE... herb
    I suppose that Miles' private life was the polar opposite of that of Marsalis. I do like the first Marsalis CD though, not the rest.[/QUOTE]

I am unclear about whether it is OK on pfm to quote only part of a quote when replying. Now that I have seen Tony L do it I will do so more often, because I think it leads more effectively to the point (or points) that one wishes to reply to.

Have you heard the Marsalis CD 'Live at the House of Tribes'? I think this is likely to become a classic. One of the finest small band performances I have ever heard.

I don't own and have never owned a CD player. I ordered 'House of Tribes' CD in the British Library Listening Rooms. Hearing it made me (almost) buy a CD player so that I could listen to it at home incessantly- night and day. Luckily I didn't buy one, so my overclogged room with (frightfully overcrowded) LPs does not get even more claustrobulbic and I still have enough space to write my Will and tidy up my affairs without being prevented from writing my Will and tidying up my affairs even more claustrobulbically by a CD player.

19. herb

herb music live

Thanks I looked in on YouTube and found this playing of a Monk tune at the House of Tribes. It is well done and rather like some of what I saw in the Usher Hall.

GREEN CHIMNEYS PT. 1 - YouTube

20. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Did the Crusher have a beard? Did he wear a hat? Did Eric Dolphy write a tune about him referencing the above? I rest my case.