advertisement

An example of vinyl revival marketing "jumping the shark"?

I’ve never seen a classical picture disk before!

The technology has apparently improved somewhat since the horrendously awful picture disks of the ‘70s and ‘80s, though I’d still be amazed if a decent classical pressing was possible. IIRC they always used to have a different material as the clear playing surface, i.e. not vinyl, though I’m not sure what it was.

I’ve always avoided them both as a collector and tend to list any that come in with collections as ungraded collectables.

I imagine any new vinyl buyer of classical music is going to be fairly discerning, both pressing and sound quality wise, and that this release will sell poorly and also have a high returns per sale ratio. Just the sort of release that drove buyers and retailers to CD back in the '80s. I can't speak for current picture disc quality, maybe it has improved although if Tool's 'Lateralus' release from 2005 is anything to go by (the last one I bought, because Tool), not by nearly enough.

Maybe there is a 'show your latest classical vinyl purchase' market on TikTok that I am out of the loop on. I know there are people with rooms with coloured and picture disc vinyl on wall displays, I just don't see where Yo-Yo Ma fits in on the shelving.

advertisement

Back