advertisement

An Apple Silicon Mac won't boot if the internal storage has failed

This is yet another example of the conspiracy, or perhaps policy would be more accurate, to deprive consumers of the freedom to do what they like with what they have bought. On another thread, someone described how expensive watches can no longer be serviced by a local clocksmith, with whom one may have a friendly relationship lasting decades, because the manufacturers wont sell them spare parts. so you have to send them off to the maker where they do what they like at whatever cost they like. The same with cars, as we all know. It is really infuriating!

This is yet another example of the conspiracy, or perhaps policy would be more accurate, to deprive consumers of the freedom to do what they like with what they have bought.

Agreed. It links in perfectly with the Right To Repair thread and again highlights a deliberate corporate shift towards marketing product using the worst aspects of both ownership and leasing where basically you still get to pay upfront, but they control the product and limit its usage. It is a whole new take on built-in obsolescence etc.

Agreed. It links in perfectly with the Right To Repair thread and again highlights a deliberate corporate shift towards marketing product using the worst aspects of both ownership and leasing where basically you still get to pay upfront, but they control the product and limit its usage. It is a whole new take on built-in obsolescence etc.
It is even worse when you don't pay upfront. Thinking of cars...

Basically where it's all going I think is everything is a 'service' with a subscription fee. Consistent, predictable revenue streams are the name of the game. It's easy to imagine with cars that when they get self-drives working safely most will never own a car and even homes will become subscriber based with different levels of privacy for the space you are paying for.

Agreed. The ‘ongoing license fee’ is sadly clearly a far better corporate business model than selling something that works properly and lasts for decades or even generations. The issue here is it costs the customer far more and is an absolute disaster environmentally as it locks everyone in a cyclic ‘upgrade’ path with products deliberately designed for a short service life. We need to push back against it in every way we can.

Basically where it's all going I think is everything is a 'service' with a subscription fee. Consistent, predictable revenue streams are the name of the game. It's easy to imagine with cars that when they get self-drives working safely most will never own a car and even homes will become subscriber based with different levels of privacy for the space you are paying for.

Yep - all began a good while back so the writing has been on the wall long enough ... but was quite disappointed to see Audirvana join that club :(

I am in the process of reducing my internet 'needs' re. music and photography (re)production to a minimum and freezing a Mac Mini 2012 on Mojave (running 32 bit apps) without the need for net access as soon as support ceases.

I have an MM 2014 with NVME and SSD that has now been 'upgraded' to the already significantly locked-in Catalina and will keep this for daily internet use, upgrading to it's last breath.

Those are likely to be my last Mac purchases (bar like-for-like replacements)

Fortunately I am no spring chicken so they may outlast me .......

advertisement

Back