advertisement

An amp for my new speakers, thinking Yamaha

Fin

pfm Member
Hi All,

Now that I have settled on new floorstanders, Triangle Magellan Cello SW2, I am looking for an amp to suit. I certainly do like the look of the Yamaha lineup, and I am thinking if the the A-S701 would be powerful enough to get the most out of my speakers, then I would jump at that. The other option is to go for the more expensive A-S1100, which doesn't have variable loudness control, nor an on-board DAC as the 701 has. Is the A-S1100 likely to offer a better listening experience?

Cheers

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Yammy if you prefer a smooth, lush sound, i have found most yamaha amps to have this balance over the years, even the newer crop.

If your in the market for a new amp, have a few demo's first, don't just dive in because you like the look of something, second hand is fine but not new.

Thank for that. Smooth and lush is a good thing in my book! I still wonder how much better wouldn't the S1100 be over the S701 model?

Have a demo, i imagine you will enjoy both as you are looking for this kind of sound, Yamaha will be perfect for this, lot's of power also if you need it.

You could look on the second hand market, try both & sell off the other, something i have done regularly over the years, beats sitting in a demo room & regretting it when it's at home, been there also.

Nice to be in a position where you have a couple of items narrowed down, at least it will make life a little easier.

I own both an A-S1000 and A-S2000 and wholeheartedly agree with Ragaman's comments re the Yamaha's smooth sound signature. But I would also add that this smoothness does not come at the expense of a loss of detail or resolution. My A-S1000 and A-S2000 are both incredibly open and transparent with remarkable resolution.

Any of Yamaha's current offerings would likely fit the bill, such is the consistency of the brand. However, if you are looking on the s/h market, I could be tempted to part with my A-S1000 if you were interested?

Well I'm thoroughly enjoying the R-N301 currently for my office system, and if that's anything to go by, the 'further up the range' Yammy amps must sound brilliant!

The R301 has bags of power and drives my BX2's so easily! I'm going to set it up with my Neat Motive 2's later this week to see how they sound with it!

Thanks all. Does anybody know how the inclusion of MOSFETs in the latest s1100 and s2001 models might benefit the sound?

My S-701 has plenty of punch when it needs it, just no trace of harshness. This is usually a good thing with Triangle speakers

Thanks all. Does anybody know how the inclusion of MOSFETs in the latest s1100 and s2001 models might benefit the sound?

My brain's experience is that the MOSFET "sound" is warm but fast and detailed. I am also a fan of the traditional Yamaha sound so the bringing of the two together should be a real treat. I wouldn't sell the two MOSFETs in my amp collection (Linx Nebula and MF B200).

I'll chime in as an A-S2000 owner.

I bought that amp when I was using LS50's as my main speaker. To me, that combination is probably as good as you'll get the KEF's to sound.

With my Vienna Acoustics, I have a feeling it's a tad too polite, but I agree with the person that said detail and resolution are not what's it's giving up for its smooth presentation. Live drums still sound fantastic...quick and plenty of attack. It's really a very good amp, though I do have the tube/high efficiency itch right now.

advertisement

Back