advertisement

an AF lens adapter for Nikon Z6/7

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
An adaptor to let you use any lens on your Nikon Z camera. That isn't the surprising bit. The adaptor apparently autofocuses manual focus lenses.

Anyone tried it?

Joe

@Lefty,

Yeah, it is bonkers but it got me thinking. If that weird adapter is possible surely an FTZ adapter that can autofocus Nikon’s screw-drive lenses is possible.

Joe

If the lens focus mechanism is a helical focus, where basically all of the elements move in unison, then yes, it is possible. If changing focus alters the relative position of the elements, then no.

@Lefty,

Yeah, it is bonkers but it got me thinking. If that weird adapter is possible surely an FTZ adapter that can autofocus Nikon’s screw-drive lenses is possible.

Joe

Agreed - it's certainly possible (as Sony have shown by doing a similar adaptor for old screw drive lenses).

Unfortunately, I think it's commercial and not technical factors which are stopping Nikon from making such an adaptor.

I guess the best we can hope for is that a third party will come out with a solution. However, there's always a worry with such adaptors that they might stop working following a firmware update from Nikon, or that they just don't work that well :(

Lefty

advertisement

Back