advertisement

Amy Winehouse-Frank

muzzer

Numb Nut
Anyone heard the above album,anygood?.
Saw her on Jools Hootmany thought she had a good voice,pity she only got to sing one song whilst the awfull Natasha Beddingfield gets two slots.:mad:

The album is alright actually, she has a great voice.

Her interviews are the best thing about her though, as she slags off Dido and Jamie Cullum, which more people should be doing really.

Was watching WWTBAM the other night and they asked what type of music was Jamie Cullum associated with?

Nobody was more surprised than me when the answer I shouted out came up as one of the options....

C.Rap

PS Highlight of the Hootenay thing was the Ukelele Nirvana.

I saw a bit of the repeated Brit 2004 awards the other day - Cullum & Melua were absolutely wretched. It occurred to me that they should always record together, it would save my ears from 50% of the drivel they output.

Richard-the ukelele nirvana was brilliant couldn't stop smiling all the way through it,also thought Ian Hunter and Clapton were good.

This is very interesting.

I have no albums by Jamie Cullum, and from what I've seen of him on the box he seems very talented, sings sympathetically to the song in an often original fashion, plays the right notes at the right time, and generally appears to be enjoying himself while doing so -- overall a very acomplished performer who "on paper" seems to tick all the right boxes. Unlike Norah Jones however, I just can't put my finger on exactly why he does nothing for me, which for me is unheard-of.

He seems to affect others in a similar way, judging by this thread. I'm intrigued -- can anyone shed any light?

He tries too hard. The "look at me! look at me!" theatricality is deeply irritating.

-- Ian

...and to my ears his music is utter utter utterly shit. I mean really really shit.

file under scatology

Come on Space Cadet - speak your mind!

By the way - I found out a couple of weeks ago that Amy Winehouse is the niece of one of my oldest pals.

Hmmm........:)

Rich

Originally posted by space cadet
...and to my ears his music is utter utter utterly shit. I mean really really shit.

Can you enlarge on that? For example, I think Mantovani was shit, ditto Richard Clayderman, Bobby Crush, James Last. These are axiomatic -- it's quite clear to me why. Not so with Cullum, IMHO.

I wondered if it's actually a marketing problem -- he perhaps isn't being aimed at my demographic. SSBob's "theatricality" point may get close -- I could draw a comparison with Antonio F, who ticks many of the same positive boxes, but radiates humility (and is tremendous live -- much better than the awful "Live" album). Fascinating.

Best;

Mark

Cullum's problem is he doesn't mean or feel it at all - it's music by numbers, I always feel this can be spotted a mile away & you've done so already by saying the music leaves you cold.

It's background music for a dinner party in Stoke Newington I'm afraid.

If anyone is thinking of getting this HMV have it for£6.99 in their sale,Fopp also have it for £7;this is in the Cambridge stores,dunno about availability elsewhere.
Barry.
Btw also got rage against the machine(1st) and portishead's dummy for £6.99 each at HMV and AC/DC'sdirty deeds for a £5 at Fopp:D

Originally posted by Mark EJ
Can you enlarge on that? For example, I think Mantovani was shit, ditto Richard Clayderman, Bobby Crush, James Last. These are axiomatic -- it's quite clear to me why. Not so with Cullum, IMHO.

I wondered if it's actually a marketing problem -- he perhaps isn't being aimed at my demographic. SSBob's "theatricality" point may get close -- I could draw a comparison with Antonio F, who ticks many of the same positive boxes, but radiates humility (and is tremendous live -- much better than the awful "Live" album). Fascinating.

Best;

Mark

For a start I find his music pointless. You know when boybands do their inferior cover versions, and you think why. But you know why, it's to sell records and make pre-teen girls fall in love with them and the music was never meant to be taken seriously. Now there's Jamie whose version of Everlasting Love makes me grit my teeth in disgust. Gone is everything that made it a catchy pop-record in the first place and instead we have a shitty hybrid that doesn't work on any level. Shit as pop and shit as jazz.
You can just see the suits thinking him up... "What happens if we cross Kenny G with Westlife and Jamie Oliver?"

It's just wrong...

However he seems to appeal to a lot of people so I'll file him with Mellua, Jones et al under 'Music for people who don't like music'.

Yes, I agree with all of that -- thanks for elucidating it. I think I'm now a long way closer to working out what the problem is, and quite a lot of it is this: he is currently best known for covers -- the suits have decided not to showcase his own songs. They probably see this as risk management -- people are more likely not to dislike a slightly different version of a song they already know. Thinking about it, whenever I've seen him on the box, it's always been with someone else's song, and his versions are usually not as good as the originals.

I would be intrigued to see what would (will?) come out if (when?) he can ditch the covers (and maybe also the marketing team). I heard a rumour that a choice was made to record his album using analogue techniques, and it is surely encouraging that this was even considered.

Best;

Mark

What happened to Amy in these two pages? Don't know if she will do it again but 'Frank' is real fresh air around the place called the latest greatest female singer!

Yes Mutty.Thread seems to got sidetracked into a Jamie Cullum debate.If Frank is on offer at HMV I may give it a go.

The Frank album is ok, but Amy does talk Crap in some interviews.
As said above she slags off Katie Melua and Jamie Cullen, in one interview I heard Amy was calling Katie Meula saying she was not a real artist like Amy is because she does not play instruments or write her own songs.

This is clearly wrong as Katie plays guitar and wrote some songs on her album. I have seen both Amy and Katie live within a few weeks of each other, and the Katie gig was by far the better of the two, she has more interreaction with the crowd and looked more at ease being on stage, Amy had no chat to the crowd, her gig was VERY short and very much more in a jazz style lots of celo lane type yelps and do-ops than the album Frank is.

advertisement

Back