1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amusing misunderstanding

Discussion in 'music' started by Joe Hutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Was watching an old TOTP2 on the iPlayer, when the Stone Roses pop up singing 'Fools Gold'. Mrs H remarks: 'They clearly modelled themselves on Oasis'. How we laughed.

2. mrclick

mrclick pfm Member

I was just thinking how Rain by the Beatles is an obvious Oasis rip-off too!

3. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

There's a whole genre called 'Classical' that have ripped off ELO entirely.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

T. Rex ripped Oasis off too channeling the guitar riff from Cigarettes & Alcohol for their minor UK hit Get It On.

5. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

It might be easier to list the bands that haven't ripped off Oasis ...!

6. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Not to mention the beatles

7. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

As I see it the first to rip off Oasis were a bunch of monks a good few hundred years ago.

Bastards.

8. billo

billo pfm Member

Able and Cain jumped on the Oasis brother hating bandwagon as well

9. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

The hatred was of biblical proportions too ;)

AP

10. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

They used to serve Oasis soup at the canteen - you gotta roll with it.

11. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

:DOhhh...groan

12. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

I'm surprised Laim didn't sue Bert (Sesame St) for ripping off his monobrow look.

13. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Didn't Knowall from Oasis sue Parker from Thunderbirds?

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

There's a whole genre of music known as 'shopping'. Go into the supermarket history of pop and say in a Jamie Oliver style voice. 'I'll have two of those, a dozen of those and give us a bag of them, too'. I think the idea is a kind of rule book shortcut to success. You can hear it very well in the band The Disappears who combined a few British post-punk bands mixed with Neu into something that sounds like a few British post-punk bands mixed with Neu.

The art of pop now just depends where you shop. If you have no imagination or limited ambition, you shop in the high street, if you are a bit more clever, or enjoy risk, you shop in the backstreets or look the junkshops.

LCD Soundsystem fell over during an interview with Simon Reynolds, who was well acquainted with all the high street brands James Murphy had been buying.

It's not always that predictable and the good ones develop their own brand after they've got tired of shopping and wearing other people's old clothes. By their 4th album, The Disappears had begun to sound a bit like themselves.