Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amusing letter to EMI/Sex Pistols A&R man

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

I do love a challenge and if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. I found this letter yesterday to Nick Mobbs (boss of EMI's A&R at the time) on a website about Mike Thorne (new-boy and Sex Pistols' A&R man during their brief time at EMI) and was deeply impressed by the arrogance and lack of humility in its tone. Someone has (probably) quite rightly covered up the names to protect the letter's author but has left some clues and it's driving me crazy thinking who it could be:

[​IMG]

What we know:
    • The Name begins with "R" -- and probably an "o" -- Robert?
    • The name ends with a "g" and preceding that possibly another -- or a "y" -- definitely a descender
    • This "R"-person styled himself as a "leader" of this band (so probably greater than a two-piece)
    • This band was signed to EMI or Harvest before the Pistols meaning before Sept/Oct 1976
    • The name of the band has been omitted but the last two characters are 'PS' Spacing suggests approximately 8 characters (------PS) or possibly 3 (The?) + 5 (--- ---PS?) we know that last characters is not a 5 (see numeriform at the top of letter)

(I have mostly ruled out Horslips -- never signed to EMI (though there are various distro deals) and no "lead" members starting with R or ending with g).

2. nickl

nickl pfm Member

Hmmm. There was an album on Harvest by a group called Strapps in 1976, led by one Ross Stagg

See here and here

Must admit that I'd never heard of them before. Good question though!

3. Anything

Anything Member

Have just listened to total garbage recordings by fox so I am loathe to respond to such a lower league individual. But anyway better late than never. I note that no one has dared to reproduce other letters sent by bona fide EMI/Harvest superstars complaining about the signing of the Sex Pistols. These folks are still very rich and no doubt would crucify those posting THEIR private correspondence. For the record the Sex Pistols were about ugliness... one murdered Nancy Spungen ... say no more. I have always detested ugliness and also lack of skill. I note for instance that the producer of Dark Side of the Moon has stated that he did MORE over dubs on the Sex Pistols than on the Floyd. Miscreants who can't play need lots and lots of goes at trying to make their record reach the required standard ..yet the Pistols were supposed to be spontaneously gifted. Lets face it they were a joke after Glenn left because he was the only one with talent. When I think about fakes like the Pistols I congratulate myself on my integrity if that makes me arrogant then I'm guilty as charged - but I'm also ..STILL.. pretty!
    R...... S....g BTW the letters over 30 years old - get a life underling!

4. Simon Dawson

Simon Dawson Angry, Ill & Ugly

^^^^
    You are Mick Parry, and I claim my Daily Mail subscription ( or 50p, which ever is worth more).

5. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Oh boy, a real life celebrity right here on PFM. Just wait til I tell the guys.

6. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

I'm guessing Rick Wakeman, as it was recently reported he's reformed.

7. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

I feel honoured. A zombie thread resurrection, by a newbie, its first post, on its day of joining *and* I get to be called a "lower league individual". Win win win.

8. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

Someone has clearly been overdoing the festive Port.

9. __mark__

__mark__ Is SET

Or crack!

10. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

It's so ... moreish.

11. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

or over doing the recent upload of his back catalogue to youtube....

12. Anything

Anything Member

It is sooo good to actually have a back catalogue. Suck on this!

13. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Must've googled his own name and found this ancient thread. Probably the last time it was brought up in a public forum.

14. Anything

Anything Member

What's google?

15. florette69

florette69 pfm Member

Didn't he record a song titled I'll never be a star?

16. Anything

Anything Member

Sid Vicious was the inspiration for that song...

17. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Wasn't Ross Stagg in the Bay City Rollers?

No doubt he can retire on the money he makes from his namesake tinned chilli.

18. Anything

Anything Member

Well yes... it is the family business, along with Stagg musical instruments. Good name! Memorable and obviously well known!

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ross, was your anger purely aimed at the Pistols or at punk / new-wave in general, e.g. how did you feel about Harvest signing the ever-wonderful Wire?

Tony.

20. dss

dss Musical Bons

or Air Liquide, who appeared on Harvest in thier middle period, after The Brotherhood of Structure years is it.

DS