advertisement

Amusing letter to EMI/Sex Pistols A&R man

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
I do love a challenge and if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. I found this letter yesterday to Nick Mobbs (boss of EMI's A&R at the time) on a website about Mike Thorne (new-boy and Sex Pistols' A&R man during their brief time at EMI) and was deeply impressed by the arrogance and lack of humility in its tone. Someone has (probably) quite rightly covered up the names to protect the letter's author but has left some clues and it's driving me crazy thinking who it could be:

SPComplaint472x650.jpg

What we know:
  • The Name begins with "R" -- and probably an "o" -- Robert?
  • The name ends with a "g" and preceding that possibly another -- or a "y" -- definitely a descender
  • This "R"-person styled himself as a "leader" of this band (so probably greater than a two-piece)
  • This band was signed to EMI or Harvest before the Pistols meaning before Sept/Oct 1976
  • The name of the band has been omitted but the last two characters are 'PS' Spacing suggests approximately 8 characters (------PS) or possibly 3 (The?) + 5 (--- ---PS?) we know that last characters is not a 5 (see numeriform at the top of letter)

(I have mostly ruled out Horslips -- never signed to EMI (though there are various distro deals) and no "lead" members starting with R or ending with g).

Hmmm. There was an album on Harvest by a group called Strapps in 1976, led by one Ross Stagg

See here and here

Must admit that I'd never heard of them before. Good question though!

Have just listened to total garbage recordings by fox so I am loathe to respond to such a lower league individual. But anyway better late than never. I note that no one has dared to reproduce other letters sent by bona fide EMI/Harvest superstars complaining about the signing of the Sex Pistols. These folks are still very rich and no doubt would crucify those posting THEIR private correspondence. For the record the Sex Pistols were about ugliness... one murdered Nancy Spungen ... say no more. I have always detested ugliness and also lack of skill. I note for instance that the producer of Dark Side of the Moon has stated that he did MORE over dubs on the Sex Pistols than on the Floyd. Miscreants who can't play need lots and lots of goes at trying to make their record reach the required standard ..yet the Pistols were supposed to be spontaneously gifted. Lets face it they were a joke after Glenn left because he was the only one with talent. When I think about fakes like the Pistols I congratulate myself on my integrity if that makes me arrogant then I'm guilty as charged - but I'm also ..STILL.. pretty!
R...... S....g BTW the letters over 30 years old - get a life underling!

I feel honoured. A zombie thread resurrection, by a newbie, its first post, on its day of joining *and* I get to be called a "lower league individual". Win win win.

Must've googled his own name and found this ancient thread. Probably the last time it was brought up in a public forum.

Wasn't Ross Stagg in the Bay City Rollers?

No doubt he can retire on the money he makes from his namesake tinned chilli.

Well yes... it is the family business, along with Stagg musical instruments. Good name! Memorable and obviously well known!

Ross, was your anger purely aimed at the Pistols or at punk / new-wave in general, e.g. how did you feel about Harvest signing the ever-wonderful Wire?

Tony.

or Air Liquide, who appeared on Harvest in thier middle period, after The Brotherhood of Structure years is it.

DS

advertisement

Back