advertisement

Amptastic Mini-1 for sale again

I would say from my own limited experience..when I changed over from amptastic to Rekkr I immediately noticed more bass and a different warmer presentation.. completely different amps though! If all I ever heard was t amps or class d mini amps then I would be happy enough..
I’ve not heard The Rekkr. I’m wondering which speakers you use? Mini provides fabulous ‘warmth’ with ANJ’s and any more would be too much I think. Horses for courses!

I should have said controlled bass really, easy enough to get a sub or two to do the heavy lifting. It's been a while since I tried the Amptastic in the main system, should give it another go.
I thought I read you can't use a sub with these - is that correct? Mine would a be a REL with high-level input/cable, ie connected to the amp's speaker terminals.

I never got a message back about using the Mini-1 with a sub and am not risking it.

Have created a new office system with it though - PC > Mojo > Mini-1 > Kudos X2 - and it sounds lovely. Natural.

Great for an office system too in the silent running and low power use.

It's the same issue as that with headphones.
Whilst your + output terminals swing one direction, the - output terminals swing the opposite direction as it's the same as a bridged configuration. I believe that the 'high' inputs on a sub rely on the negative terminals being commoned together and thus will destroy a bridged configuration as you are essentially shorting both L and R inverting outputs together.

I thought I read you can't use a sub with these - is that correct? Mine would a be a REL with high-level input/cable, ie connected to the amp's speaker terminals.
I am using an REL T5x sub with my Marantz KI-Ruby integrated amplifier which has Class D power output. The manual says that to use it with a sub you only need to connect cables to the two +ve terminals and insulate and tie back the third conductor. I’ve had no issues.

I use my Amptastic mini-1 as my FIR sauna system driving B&W DM302 B&W PRISM speakers which are placed like big headphones less than a 30cm from each ear on a shelf either side. More than enough watts for nearfield.

Can the Amptastic handle speakers with an impedance rating of 6ohms but with dips as far down as 3.5ohms? Asking for a friend...

Sensitivity = 87.5db

advertisement

Back