advertisement

Amps you can't cook an egg on?

Columbo

pfm Member
Hey all, long time lurker, occasional poster here :)

Just upgraded my speakers (long story short: from Dali Opticon 2 Mk2 sideways move to QA Concept 30 to big step up and the bloody brilliant newly launched Neat Petites Classics) Now looking to change my amp.

My set-up is a Schiit Aegir amp that's class-A biasing and it's sound lovely with the Neats (with a Schiit Pre, Schiit Multibit DAC). But, just couldn't bear to turn it on in the summer, it would turn my listening room into a sauna.

What would be a good lower-heat alternative? Things I like about it: smooth and rich without being overly warm, gives a nice presence to vocals without being forward, decent sense of space and totally non-fatiguing.

I'm thinking an integrated, a Hegel or maybe a wildcard punt on Lyngdorf? Helppppp. Cheers, Chris

You're best off trying some in your room Chris nothing else will suffice. Only your ears matter.
As above...

No idea of your budget but I recently got a 2nd hand Simaudio Moon 760a power amp to replace the room-heater cum power amp I used to run. Vaguely warm to the touch after a whole day of making very nice music.

Thanks all. Two grand budget, for an integrated (with or without DAC)

Did consider a Simaudio 340 but mixed reviews?

Rega I've dismissed as supposed to have relatively narrow/focused soundstage?

That Norma looks interesting! On the list it goes for some research

Wouldn't that Sugden run hot?

Thanks again

Sugden’s do tend to run hot for the same reason as your current amp.

I’d suggest looking at cheaper A/B, or even D to tide you over the summer, and keep the Schiit for when the temperatures outside mean that any warming effect is useful.

Naim Nait XS, Rega Elicit, Exposure 3510, all would really make your Neats sing and won’t cook you in the process.

Based on own experience with Neat speakers, I'd choose one of the new Rega amps, they do get moderate warm though.

Thanks all. Two grand budget, for an integrated (with or without DAC)

Did consider a Simaudio 340 but mixed reviews?

Rega I've dismissed as supposed to have relatively narrow/focused soundstage?

That Norma looks interesting! On the list it goes for some research

Wouldn't that Sugden run hot?

Thanks again
Aparrently not
Mac

I think a Nord class D would fit the bill nicely and well within budget. Something based on the Purifi amp module would be my choice in that price range.

Choose and amp which has ventilation holes in the top, much harder to cook and egg on it when it all drips through.

Seriously, the vast majority of amps that I have owned run cool, all of them have been class A/B, it is just unfortunate that class A amps of any real power rating get hot due to their circuit design.

My Elicit R gets very hot during warm (summer) weather but has never cut out.
Now the weather is cooler it gets warmish but no more than that.
Sounds sublime all year round.:)

advertisement

Back