advertisement

AMPS TO DRIVE 1993 SHAHINIAN ARCS

oceanobsession

pfm Member
Hi all , im looking for some recomendations to replace my avi s2000 pre & monoblocks which i feel are struggling, the meridian G57 ex dem can be had
for £1200, does anyone use this amp, or can recomend any others.

I'm surprised to hear the AVI S2000 amps are struggling. Perhaps it's just that the sonic marriage isn't a happy one?

The Arcs are relatively easy to drive. I've heard them sounding sublime on the end of a humble Densen B110 integrated. (With a B400XS as source)

Lefty

I'm surprised to hear the AVI S2000 amps are struggling. Perhaps it's just that the sonic marriage isn't a happy one?

The Arcs are relatively easy to drive. I've heard them sounding sublime on the end of a humble Densen B110 integrated. (With a B400XS as source)

Lefty

Thats funny phonography suggested this amp also the sugden A21, have you
driven the arcs with your avi integrated.

You could always try tubes with arcs-for that sort of money...maybe not a good idea if there is a possibility of moving up the Shahinian chain but worth a listen against ss amps with arcs-an ear integrated or try Manley Labs-I tried snappers with my Obelisks but they only just ran out of puff but sounded lovely, they do a stingray amp which looks nice and affordable. You won't go far wrong with Avondale M130's, its a matter of chopping and changing and dont be too quick to part with your £££. Great results from Meridian 5 series with obs but a 557 would be all you would need- regulars on ebay.

...it seems Arc 2 are now on the near horizen;)

Whats your music tastes?...Also Bryston 4bsst would have them twitching

Si

You could always try tubes with arcs-for that sort of money...maybe not a good idea if there is a possibility of moving up the Shahinian chain but worth a listen against ss amps with arcs-an ear integrated or try Manley Labs-I tried snappers with my Obelisks but they only just ran out of puff but sounded lovely, they do a stingray amp which looks nice and affordable. You won't go far wrong with Avondale M130's, its a matter of chopping and changing and dont be too quick to part with your £££. Great results from Meridian 5 series with obs but a 557 would be all you would need- regulars on ebay.

...it seems Arc 2 are now on the near horizen;)

Whats your music tastes?...Also Bryston 4bsst would have them twitching

Si

cheers for the advice, im into everything music wise apart from techno hiphop

Hi all , im looking for some recomendations to replace my avi s2000 pre & monoblocks which i feel are struggling, the meridian G57 ex dem can be had

I use a Meridian G55 (5 channel amp) at the moment which is the equivalent to the G56 (2 channel) in terms of power, so the G57 should be extremely good. If you can get an ex-dem one for that money I'd jump at it.

I use a Meridian G55 (5 channel amp) at the moment which is the equivalent to the G56 (2 channel) in terms of power, so the G57 should be extremely good. If you can get an ex-dem one for that money I'd jump at it.

Thanks for the advice, is the meridian g57 as good as the 559 or 557 and
are they brigable in the same way

For just a wee bit more and if you are uber lucky you can get a Meridian 559. This is a totally different kettle of fish from all the other Meridian amps. I have two into the new Shahinian Obelisks each of which is bridged and no I'm not selling.

It would be useful to see what the rest of your system is as the problem may be at the front end.

Cheers,

DV

I canny remember who but someone has an Ear v20 with arcs and I bet that sounds rather sweet-its a little more money off the top of my bonce so a totally random suggestion really but the owner may comment if he she sees this.

I have used a Meridian 557 (it is now for sale as I have a DV HX1.2) with Arcs and it works really well.
Lambros

I've heard the Arcs on the end of a Naim 250, it has no trouble driving them and sounds rather good.

If you can afford a HX 1.2 great as I said if you are possibly moving up the Shahinian chain but for now I say 557, 250, Avondale S 100 or M130's maybe the Bryston as I have seen them go for about your price range but take it easy and listen-DV may be right about the front end....

Thanks for the help and suggestions, my front end is a pioneer pl71 with denon dl103, it would be nice to hear another pair of arcs with naim or
dynavector or meridian, i live in birmingham there is a few dealers but im not
going to buy new so its hard to compare for me.

Shame you don't live down south!!

More than welcome to listen to mine on the end of an Avondale NCC200 DIY amp. Sounds excellent so I guess Les's S100 would be just splendid.

Sounded great with my NAP 250 too - for sale by the way!!!

I know this seems mad but everything has now come back on song, i replaced
the cartridge for a AT95E and tried this found it a little bit more tingly tingly
at the top but lacking bass and the sweetness of the denon dl 103, so back
went the denon dl 103 which now sounded better again. then i lost a channel
so went on pc dac still lost so swapped monoblocks which chaned speaker so
removed it had a look inside put it back still down then came back, its done
this before a few times a dry joint or something in the monoblock.

Most Shahinian Speakers are current dependent, they need Amps which are able to deliver high currents into low resistance.
It also depends on your room size and listening level.
As already posted, in my Room, about 25 m² i use a classe audio cap 151 with Obelisks, being contend.
If i would relocate, and have the money, ;) i would pick a Electrocompaniet AW180M look here, and a very good tubepreamp.
The poweramp you choose, should fill your room size, the preamp should be the best you can afford.

Nebhrid

advertisement

Back