advertisement

Amps for Maggies

First time I heard Maggies I was amazed at the almost total lack of drama,excitement,impact and slam.

If Terry and June were a speaker they’d be a Magneplanar speaker.
I find all that in the music to be honest and the Maggies just present the music to me, free from manipulated or exaggerated bass, hyper dynamics and boxiness. They just don’t get in the way of the music I love which is what I really want.

Conrad Johnson solid state myself as it tends to be beautifully made (film caps everywhere aside from the PSU) so very easy to refurbish.

If an older CJ amp, budget for a PSU re-cap as if they do go it’s game over and it does happen apparently.

If an older CJ amp, budget for a PSU re-cap as if they do go it’s game over and it does happen apparently.

Agreed, but that’s likely £30 for a couple of nice caps and 10 minutes with a soldering iron. It’s a very different prospect to say rebuilding a Krell.

How are your 1.7s Miss Ariel, iffI may ask?

Hi Del,

Wow ! they are amazing.The best speakers I have ever had in all my speaker journey.They are my end point !
Just can't get over how they do timbre of instruments especially anything with brass.Piano is incredible.
I was listening to Radio 3 and a piece ended with a long piano sustain and it just hung in the air.Detail is impressive and hearing so much subtle nuances in playing and singing that wasn't evident before.
What I like about them nothing is highlighted bass midrange or hf.Their not a showy shouty speaker where one aspect shines.There's a seamless musicality about them.
An absolute bargain.Just so transparent and musically captivating.
The music just speaks ....Been keeping me up way past midnight last week !
I can understand your love for them 100%.

Last edited:
Hi Del,

Wow ! they are amazing.The best speakers I have ever had in all my speaker journey.They are my end point !
Just can't get over how they do timbre of instruments especially anything with brass.Piano is incredible.
I was listening to Radio 3 and a piece ended with a long piano sustain and it just hung in the air.Detail is impressive and hearing so much subtle nuances in playing and singing that wasn't evident before.
What I like about them nothing is highlighted bass midrange or hf.There not a showy shouty speaker where one aspect shines.There's a seamless musicality about them.
Sounds brilliant. I may need to start saving. Not sure my wife will like the increase in size though.Glad they’re doing it for you!
Del

Hi Del,

What I like about them nothing is highlighted bass midrange or hf.There not a showy shouty speaker where one aspect shines.There's a seamless musicality about them.
Don’t know if you have this record but the Carmina Burana from Carl Orff sounds outstanding with these panels. Really worth get a copy to give it a try.
If that was my type of music, I would also have some Maggie’s, no doubt.

I had a pair of 1.7 a few years back, had a SuperUniti and a Gato 250, the Gato was so much better than the Naim.

Lovely speakers by the way.

First time I heard Maggies I was amazed at the almost total lack of drama, excitement, impact and slam.

All speakers are a compromise and I think you and I hear the same things from Magneplanars David..... its just that you are putting the wrong err.... a different interpretation on it.
Maggies can sound flat and polite - firstly because they need driving a bit in order to come alive and secondly because there is no box colouration added to the sound - even i missed this at first. The long ribbon tweeters are also super smooth and do, in fairness, lack that 'sparkle' that you get from dome tweeters. The bass panels produce bass that I call 'wafty' - it can lack the slam of a large moving coil driver.
All maggies are dipoles so they need to be way out into the room or you get some horrible cancellation effects - i think many people under estimate just how far out they need to be TBH.
But..... Maggies have a superb 'hear through' transparency that only Electrostatics can match. I get it that for an Isobarik lover this will not be the first priority. Actually, I suspect that Magneplanars and Isobariks are probably as near to polar opposites are we are going to get.

First time I heard Maggies I was amazed at the almost total lack of drama,excitement,impact and slam.

And I found my Isobariks sounded like Laurel and Hardy - fat and dull bass and lean sounding the rest of the way with Linn amps…. All to our own…

I kind of get the attraction of Quad Electrostatics, theyre not my bag but I can appreciate what they do well.

Magneplanars however have all the drawbacks of ESLs but none of the advantages, I cant understand how anyone having heard a pair of Maggies against a pair of 2905 would choose the Maggies.

And I found my Isobariks sounded like Laurel and Hardy - fat and dull bass and lean sounding the rest of the way with Linn amps…. All to our own…

This begs the question, why on earth did you buy them? And having discarded them having not got them to work successfully, why do you still define your identity online with them?

I kind of get the attraction of Quad Electrostatics, theyre not my bag but I can appreciate what they do well.

Magneplanars however have all the drawbacks of ESLs but none of the advantages, I cant understand how anyone having heard a pair of Maggies against a pair of 2905 would choose the Maggies.
Cheaper, more reliable, greater dynamic headroom, no need for a mains connection, better looking, far slimmer, more domestically acceptable...... While having a similar level of transparency? Do I need to go on?

Cheaper, more reliable, greater dynamic headroom, no need for a mains connection, better looking, far slimmer, more domestically acceptable...... While having a similar level of transparency? Do I need to go on?
I must have extraordinary hearing and taste then.

I think the Op knows what he needs to do next, try the superuniti and see if it makes the expected massive difference to the Maggies performance.

If it is as transformatory as the proponents suggest then he shoud be cooking with gas!

advertisement

Back