advertisement

Amps and Power Amps...

CraShWilliams

pfm Member
Let me start off by apologising for the boneness of this question...

I recently purchased an Audiolab 8000a (this is my second one).

At the time I was going to refurbish my current one and I'd received quotes of about £350 for various tweaks - this was from some guy on eBay (and before I found this place). I then saw a great 8000a on eBay, already refurbished by Audio Cellar and a guy called Kevin Green - all the capacitors and connectors were replaced, the phono mm/mc were also upgraded at the same time, I believe £250 was spent getting it all done...

Anyway, I ended up winning the bid and bought it for £310 and I'm now planning to sell my non-refurbed one to recoup some cash.

Prior to all this happening, I bought an Audiolab8000sx Power Amp and was planning to set it up with my old unmodded amp.

Given I've got this newly-refurbed one coming, do I even need the poweramp? Should I sell this (with the old 8000a) and put the money towards a decent streamer?

Grateful for any pointers, thanks in advance!

I once had an 8000A to which I added the 8000P. This upgrade, using the 8000A as a preamp, added a bit more welly to the sound.

It's up to you whether you prefer the power of the 8000SX to the 8000A alone, with your speakers, room etc.

Streamers can be had secondhand for a few hundred these days so if you sell your first Audiolab you wouldn't be far off getting a decent one. I use a Cambridge Streamagic which is a good quality versatile unit.

Thanks @Minio I really appreciate your coming back to me.

Issue I have, when I mentioned the power amp to the 8000a seller, he said...

'...But if memory serves you’ll need to make a simple internal mod to use with a power amp! Something like desoldering a wire or such like..'

This makes no sense to me - why would you need to do this, to run a piece if kit by the same company?

Re the streamer, im deffo in the market for one so if anyone has one - please holler :)

Streamers can be had secondhand for a few hundred these days so if you sell your first Audiolab you wouldn't be far off getting a decent one. I use a Cambridge Streamagic which is a good quality versatile unit.

I've been reading some good things about the Cambridge Audio CXN v2, for the money, they seem pretty spot on - I'm going to see what else is around at that price but i'm sorely tempted.

The CXN v2 looks exactly the same as my Streamagic externally. I’m not sure how the internals have changed but mine is good for Spotify, internet radio, NAS, usb and employs a good quality dac that works well with my cd transport. It also has a volume control option which enables its use as a Pre-Amp, but I prefer the line out direct and use my separate pre.

Streamers are good for a number of digital audio duties. So, great vfm considering they are several sources in one box.

Thanks Gus though if truth be told, this is well beyond my capabilities!

I'm wondering, with this being a 'mod' that I'm not going to cause any damage to my system by connecting my 8000a to SX, it just won't sound as good as it might?

I'd contact Audiolab / IAG for clarification to save an expensive mistake. http://www.audiolab.co.uk/contact.php

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/audiolab-8000a-and-8000s

Third post down suggests you could just use it as a Pre without the mod. I'd defo get more advice first though. Plus don't have any speakers connected to the 8000A and volume way down if you do decide to try.

As far as Streamers go, if you have iOS devices the Auralic Aries Mini is very good, I've had one, an alternative mentioned a lot and if you are Android is the Bluesound Node, but I have not had one of those. SONOS is about as easy as it gets and common second hand. For a dip your toe a Chromecast or if you like to tinker a Raspberry Pi + DAC hat.

For clarification;

The Audiolab can be used as either a pre amp or a power amp by simply removing the links at the rear.
The mod you linked to is for running both sections, independently, at the same time.

Just try the power amp hooked up to the pre amp section of your integrated and see if you like what it does.
Simples!

I have no experience with your amps, so letting your ears decide would be my advice.
However, I would recommend listening to a couple of streamers: not all streamers/ DACs are equal, and like speakers each has their own signature.
Some may work better with the rest of your setup, room, music and taste than others.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. For now, Im going to keep hold of the P/A though keep it boxed. As I come to understand more then Ill come back to it.

As far as Streamers go, if you have iOS devices the Auralic Aries Mini is very good, I've had one, an alternative mentioned a lot and if you are Android is the Bluesound Node, but I have not had one of those. SONOS is about as easy as it gets and common second hand. For a dip your toe a Chromecast or if you like to tinker a Raspberry Pi + DAC hat.

Thanks @Amber Audio Ive had a good listen to the CXN albeit on a different system and I must admit, I was very impressed - Iits also well reviewed. I did also look up the Bluesoumd Node and the reviews were less favourable. Im now wondering whether I pay a big deposit and get the 851n, pay rest back over serveral months and future proof myself?

That 851n looks a nice piece of kit, I'm not familiar with Cambridge. What I would say is make sure you check out the App/Control Point, for me that is even more important than absolute sound quality, no point in my mind having an extra 1% sound quality if you hate using the thing. Also I found, but you may not, that there is nowhere near as much difference with Streamers as a source than Analogue, I had an Aries Mini and it was very close to my Naim NDX+PSU which cost multiple times more £.

Enjoy the journey, it's just a hobby after all and swapping kit is part of the fun :)

Gus

That 851n looks a nice piece of kit, I'm not familiar with Cambridge. What I would say is make sure you check out the App/Control Point, for me that is even more important than absolute sound quality, no point in my mind having an extra 1% sound quality if you hate using the thing. Also I found, but you may not, that there is nowhere near as much difference with Streamers as a source than Analogue, I had an Aries Mini and it was very close to my Naim NDX+PSU which cost multiple times more £.

Enjoy the journey, it's just a hobby after all and swapping kit is part of the fun :)

Gus
I agree on the control point part, but I found that there can be a huge difference between different streamers, probably because of the different DACs being used.

And I really hate swapping kit, I sincerely hope no parts of my setup will break down as I have no intention, nor funds :) , to change anything.

What speakers? Do they ‘need’ the extra power over the 8000A?

I loved the 8000a with NS1000’s!!

Several yrs back I was gifted some Vienna Accoustic Back Speakers, theyre lovely - really nice to listen to. Im feeling that the p amp will be too much for them (that and not having much of a clue) so Ill keep them boxed,.or maybe sell on to contribute to the streamer.

I agree on the control point part, but I found that there can be a huge difference between different streamers, probably because of the different DACs being used.

And I really hate swapping kit, I sincerely hope no parts of my setup will break down as I have no intention, nor funds :) , to change anything.

I used the Streamers digi out --> DAC, so was just commenting on the streaming part and that I thought the difference didn't reflect the cost involved. Mini is about £500, Naim about £8K new.

I used the Streamers digi out --> DAC, so was just commenting on the streaming part and that I thought the difference didn't reflect the cost involved. Mini is about £500, Naim about £8K new.
I won't argue with that.
Did you test the Mini into the Naim, or both of them into another DAC?

I tried a few variations but nothing scientific, just out of curiosity. I didn't try Mini --> NDX --> Amp Vs NDX --> Amp. I wanted to try Lightning DS and Roon before I bought a higher end Auralic so bought a used Mini/SSD/LPSU.

Both --> nDAC --> Amps various

Both --> Lyngdorf 2170 by USB/Coax/Opt

Plus a few other combos.

advertisement

Back