advertisement

"Amps all sound the same" (more or less)

John,

I've heard a McIntosh amp only once and I would describe that amp as juicy, not dark. I'm sure somewhere an objectivista is having a conniption over my nontechnical language, but juicy seemed an apt as descriptor as any.

Joe

I wouldn't even call it that. It sounds pretty transparent and airy where you want it to, in a solid state way, but without the edginess. Further down, there's a lot of midrange detail, with maybe a tiny bit of valve character present, but less than you'd expect. The bass goes deep and is as tight as I've heard in my room. It also seems totally effortless, but that could just be into my 93dB 15" DCs, which are an easy load.

I wouldn't even call it that. It sounds pretty transparent and airy where you want it to, in a solid state way, but without the edginess. Further down, there's a lot of midrange detail, with maybe a tiny bit of valve character present, but less than you'd expect. The bass goes deep and is as tight as I've heard in my room. It also seems totally effortless, but that could just be into my 93dB 15" DCs, which are an easy load.

I'd still take the Radford over either:)

In the end I wanted a full integrated. Plus, I fell for the idea of meters....

Just got my Neurochrome 686 up and running with help from Tom Christiansen in Canada.

My amp requirements are now complete for ever! It is soo deeply impressive and blows everything I have ever heard into the weeds. Amps don't sound the same, especially with Harbeths.

Measured performance is superb.

The boards come pre populated so any numpty like me can join the last few bits together. The case comes from Modushop in Italy..again if you pay extra they pre drill the chassis enabling a very quick build...literally a weekend.

This is not a cheap kit, unless you compare the performance of what it is capable of ...in which case its a bargain.

I'm done, happy bunny ...no other amps sound the same...

M

Its a great amp, a truly world class design, all signal, no noise. Ive just added a second psu board to my bridged mod86p monoblocks. I guess that makes them a 486.

Are you using a balanced source/pre?

Yep, using a soncoz sgd1, also got an SHD pre with Dirac. Both have balanced op.

Source is a digione sig with shanti psu, I was on LMS but Roon is becoming a bit of an obsession at the moment, a great tool for finding new music to enjoy the new combo.

I've never used a balanced source, just gone 100% digital having sold my 401 (im sure to regret that later!). Does it add much? currently using spdif from the Allo.

I've also got a NUC USB and a Chromecast which also seem to have improved via the Soncoz. I'm less inclined to worry too much about streamers and their SQ impact.

I've got space in my 686 chassis for another 686 power/ toroid so could dual mono. Having said that the oomph im getting is beyond anything I've ever heard before.:)

The new amp has seen off my Quad QSP which I was Really fond of. Lovely amp but the 686 is on a different planet!!

Yeh, he needs to sell them in mega cnc chassis with full remote control and fancy vu meters for 30k.

Just listen and choose the amp that works within your budget.. with your speakers.. in your room.

Don't buy on a dealer dem.

It's really not hard...

advertisement

Back