advertisement

Amplifiers for Shahinian Larcs

novak

pfm Member
Hi, calling Shahinian owners...

The Larcs doing well in my living space, I'm enjoying them very much. Further to a mini-review on a previous thread, they're incredibly versatile and entertaining, whilst being very easy on the ear and listenable for long periods. I don't play loud.

I'm currently using my Jadis Orchestra Ref amplifier (normally attached to my Harbeth SHL5+) and this seemingly works well, although I haven't tried anything else as yet.

I'm looking for a secondary amplifier, no budget in mind but something sensible (ideally sub 1k but could go higher if needed) and ideally one box for simplicity. I bought a Nait 1 (had a Nait 1 before on a number of occasions, a lovely little amp) so will give this a try when it arrives. Does anyone have any experiences? Is Naim a good match? Or more valves perhaps?

I found the Nait/Larc combo very enjoyable in that it boogied along very well (with LP12 source and K20 speaker cable) and I quite liked the omni directional sound, but it did have a tendency to highlight the metal dome tweeter at times. It also couldn't compete with Kans in terms of timing and overall coherence but that's not unusual.

Perhaps with a different source, cables, room then the top end will not draw attention to itself so much.

An Exposure XV might work better, assuming you enjoy the whole flat earth thing. Tony Brady at Exposure will still service them.

Well I have used mine with the JVC AX Z1010 to great effect but as always I always revert back to my old Sugden A21. Most probably under powered with 10/12 Watts but at the levels I generally listen at they sound fantastic. Given the differences in power of these two amps I can only conclude they aren’t too fussy in terms of an amp.

If I had the money and inclination I’d love to try them with a more powerful Sugden and some Luxman amplifiers.

Yes, same. So far so good with the Jadis, which I find has more sparkle than other amplifiers I have owned.

Mine are truly unbelievable in a small room on the end of Dynavector L300 and HX100 , but I guess that’s not the answer you seek.....

I also have a Nait 2 which drives them beautifully but not loud. A Nait 3 fails completely. I reckon a Densen integrated would be perfect if you can find one

I’ve mine with a Naimuniti1 - sounds great. I haven’t noticed any top end issues either. Remarkable sound for the size of speaker.

I concur with @Tigerjones in that the JVC AX Z1010 would be a good match if you can find one. My Sugden A21 S2 is presently with Sugden for service, so I'll know better on that front once I get it back. If you like the Nait, then another option might be an Onix 21 with SOAP if you can find a nice one. Otherwise, a Musical Fidelity B1.

I'm fond of my Benchmark AHB2 - Larc combination. It's been five years of pure music and no fussing.

Last year I started using a gentle EQ; a not-too-dramatic equal loudness contour. It took my Larc love to new heights. My listening rarely exceeds 60 dB(a) these days and I've never been happier.

For those who are EQ-curious... absolutely give it a go with the Larcs.

I've tried my ARCs with Naim, Dynavector, Densen, Hegel and Linn.

They are so revealing the just tell you all about the source/amp.

I'd second a Densen integrated would be a great start.

I'm fond of my Benchmark AHB2 - Larc combination. It's been five years of pure music and no fussing.

Last year I started using a gentle EQ; a not-too-dramatic equal loudness contour. It took my Larc love to new heights. My listening rarely exceeds 60 dB(a) these days and I've never been happier.

For those who are EQ-curious... absolutely give it a go with the Larcs.
Hi, could you explain how you have done this please? I.e, what kit, how installed, how to determine your favoured EQ setting(s)? Thanks.

Hi, calling Shahinian owners...

The Larcs doing well in my living space, I'm enjoying them very much. Further to a mini-review on a previous thread, they're incredibly versatile and entertaining, whilst being very easy on the ear and listenable for long periods. I don't play loud.

I'm currently using my Jadis Orchestra Ref amplifier (normally attached to my Harbeth SHL5+) and this seemingly works well, although I haven't tried anything else as yet.

I'm looking for a secondary amplifier, no budget in mind but something sensible (ideally sub 1k but could go higher if needed) and ideally one box for simplicity. I bought a Nait 1 (had a Nait 1 before on a number of occasions, a lovely little amp) so will give this a try when it arrives. Does anyone have any experiences? Is Naim a good match? Or more valves perhaps?

I wonder if Rega IO could be another option

advertisement

Back