advertisement

Amplifier/streamer thoughts...(with Royd Sorcerers)

jay

built for speed
I want to set up my bedroom system again and I need a musical and fairly grunty integrated that can handle files off the QNAP server. I suppose something like a Naim Uniti could work well, I've had one before, but I think it'll struggle with the Royds....

What are people's thoughts? Second-hand or new are fine but I wanted to keep it under £1k, the cheaper the better of course!

Sorcerers are easy to drive, but like a bit of power... I think, rather than an all-in-one unit, I'd rather have something like a Raspberry Pi with a DAC board into something like an Exposure 2010S integrated. Well under £1k too, under £400 more like.

Sorcerers are easy to drive, but like a bit of power... I think, rather than an all-in-one unit, I'd rather have something like a Raspberry Pi with a DAC board into something like an Exposure 2010S integrated. Well under £1k too, under £400 more like.

I know you're a long term Sorcerer user but I've not found mine (Sorcerer SE's with the tweeters on the bottom) to very sensitive. I think they're circa 85db or something aren't they? I've used mine with a 250.2 and a SuperUniti 2, they sound good but I really need the wick turned up to open them up. Not ideal for a bedroom situation...

I know you're a long term Sorcerer user but I've not found mine (Sorcerer SE's with the tweeters on the bottom) to very sensitive. I think they're circa 85db or something aren't they? I've used mine with a 250.2 and a SuperUniti 2, they sound good but I really need the wick turned up to open them up. Not ideal for a bedroom situation...

I also have the "SE" drivers in my Sorcerers. There's a difference between being easy to drive, and being relatively insensitive. I wonder how those Naim amps were, because I have an open sound at lower volumes with my LFD amps.

...let me have another think because I did think the 2010 amps needed a little bit of volume to get them going.

I also have the "SE" drivers in my Sorcerers. There's a difference between being easy to drive, and being relatively insensitive. I wonder how those Naim amps were, because I have an open sound at lower volumes with my LFD amps.

The amps were fine. The SuperUniti fairly new and the 250.2's in daily use.

Many thanks on your thoughts!

I've spied a Hegel H90 in the classifieds that may do the trick, has anyone listened to one?

I’d have thought the Unitiqute would do fine... A used Linn Majik DSM/DSI would drive them with ease and sound very good but I doubt you’ll get one below £1K.

I’d have thought the Unitiqute would do fine... A used Linn Majik DSM/DSI would drive them with ease and sound very good but I doubt you’ll get one below £1K.

I haven't tried a UnitiQute, just a SuperUniti 2. As I said, my experience is that you need to give them a bit more welly for them (Royd's) to sound as good as they can. No doubt the room is playing it's part, etc, as well...

I haven't tried a UnitiQute, just a SuperUniti 2. As I said, my experience is that you need to give them a bit more welly for them (Royd's) to sound as good as they can. No doubt the room is playing it's part, etc, as well...
Sorry, I misread, it clearly said SuperUniti2 but I'd got the Qute in my mind. I assumed the Sorcerers would be similar to my Sapphires to drive, they do sing with a bit of power but 50 watts or so is plenty.

Sorry, I misread, it clearly said SuperUniti2 but I'd got the Qute in my mind. I assumed the Sorcerers would be similar to my Sapphires to drive, they do sing with a bit of power but 50 watts or so is plenty.

Easy mistake! I've got some Sapphires too (Mark II?) and they're a different kettle of fish to the Sorcerers. That's the other option of course but I'd like to use the better speakers if I could...

If you do not expect playing very loud a Qute/Sorcerers will be fine for bedroom /TV setup allthough I believe Qute/Sapphires more authentic sort of

Offcourse a SU will be more powerfull etc but you can allways add a Nap to Qute if needed

With arrival of recent Atom Uniti range one shouldn't wonder if many UQ soon will hit the preloved market at good prices

Within your budget the original SN might be available, quite powerfull, not my cup admittedly but in some combinations ok

Easy mistake! I've got some Sapphires too (Mark II?) and they're a different kettle of fish to the Sorcerers. That's the other option of course but I'd like to use the better speakers if I could...
Are the sorcerers much better? A friend of mine fell in love with my Sapphires the other day when he heard them with my Linn Genki and his Pioneer SX 850 that I've repaired, he now wants a pair. If I could find some Sorcerers and I liked them enough, I could possibly be convinced to let him have my Sapphires... I'd need some convincing though. I do have an amp that would definitely be up to the task.

Are the sorcerers much better? A friend of mine fell in love with my Sapphires the other day when he heard them with my Linn Genki and his Pioneer SX 850 that I've repaired, he now wants a pair. If I could find some Sorcerers and I liked them enough, I could possibly be convinced to let him have my Sapphires... I'd need some convincing though. I do have an amp that would definitely be up to the task.

Others will no doubt chip in (and they are very welcome to) but the Sorcerers are ultimately more refined and believable IMV. I think you need to think about them as being in a few classes up from the Sapphire in terms of quality of source, attention to set-up, stands, etc. I think I'm convincing myself that they are wasted in the bedroom.

The Sapphire is however a very very good speaker. I used them previously with a UQ2 to great effect.

If you do not expect playing very loud a Qute/Sorcerers will be fine for bedroom /TV setup allthough I believe Qute/Sapphires more authentic sort of

Thanks Per, I'm coming to the same conclusion. The Sapphire might make better sense in the location and that would open up a wider choice of amplifier.

Others will no doubt chip in (and they are very welcome to) but the Sorcerers are ultimately more refined and believable IMV. I think you need to think about them as being in a few classes up from the Sapphire in terms of quality of source, attention to set-up, stands, etc. I think I'm convincing myself that they are wasted in the bedroom.

The Sapphire is however a very very speaker. I used them previously with a UQ2 to great effect.
They would be used with a Rega P5/2M Black, Linn Karik/Numerik, Linn Kairn and Linn Klout, stands would be Mission Stancette as per the system my Sapphires are used in. No doubt they would sound superb... sorry for Hijacking your thread.

Not a problem at all.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. As I said a more refined, some might say, mature view will be presented. But they're not as efficient (I've found) so they need a little more ooooph to get going. The Sapphire's an excellent little box though so I'd hold onto them and try the Sorcerers out before moving them on, ideally...

I've spied a Hegel H90 in the classifieds that may do the trick, has anyone listened to one?

It's very nice. Really remarkable for the money. I have never heard one driving Royd speakers, but on paper it will drive Sorcerers quite happily.

Reactions: jay
Not a problem at all.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. As I said a more refined, some might say, mature view will be presented. But they're not as efficient (I've found) so they need a little more ooooph to get going. The Sapphire's an excellent little box though so I'd hold onto them and try the Sorcerers out before moving them on, ideally...

Cheers, I definitely wouldn't move my Sapphires on unless I was totally happy with something else... in all honesty I'll probably never part with them, I love them too much. I'll find a pair for my friend. I can definitely accommodate more than one pair of Royds, they're not exactly obtrusive.

advertisement

Back