advertisement

Amplifier PCB Speaker Wire Connection

Shadders

pfm Member
Hi,
In examining the reviews in Hifi News, i can see that many amplifiers use a solder connection of the speaker wire to the amplifier PCB.

I have examined Farnell and RS Electronics, yet i am not able to find such connections.

Does the industry use Turrets to solder to, and a insulating sleeve ?

I have seen crimp connections with a 3mm pole, so are these what are used ?

Does anyone know what is used, and their names - since unless you know the exact name, you can never find them on Farnell etc.

Thanks and Regards,
Shadders.

EH????

Stick wire through hole in PCB. Solder wire. Simples.
Hi,
Yes - that is easy - but i wanted the option of not having to take the PCB off the heatsink, to desolder, if ever required. The contact option provides a method to desolder with the PCB in place. Remove the insulation, and solder iron from the top. If the insulation of the wire is against the hole, desoldering is much more difficult.

I can see the pictures in Hifi News - so why would they use a turret, or crimp connector with a pole soldered to the PCB ?

Thanks and regards,
Shadders.

Try a Google search for PCB pins.
Cheers Andy.
Hi,
Thanks - yes i did check - and solder cup may be the answer, but difficult to find with 3mm turret for the PCB hole.

The alternative are the Fast-ON type loop connectors, using 3mm thread nut and bolt.

Regards,
Shadders.

The M2x pcbs I'm putting together provide for both thru-hole (or pin) and spade connectors (two holes each) for input, output and power connections. I'm using the latter to facilitate disassembly. It's a special case due to the variety of input boards (5 options and counting) but I like the idea in principle. (Search 'pcb faston connector' on eBay.) Given sufficient room, I imagine one might drill an additional hole if necessary but solder only one.

advertisement

Back