advertisement

Amplifier input sensitivity

I think it came out that way because that's what you get when you stick a unity gain buffer after the I-V converter.

It makes sense to me to have it at that higher level for S/N ratio reasons. If the source is giving 2V then there's much less scope for anything after that point to hum and hiss than there was when things had maybe 100mV sensitivity.

I had an amplifier with built in attenuation on the CD input. I thought the CD signal sounded cleaner and more dynamic through the tuner input.
My Albarry pre- has an attenuated dedicated CD input. CD sounds miles better through it. Through the unattenuated line inputs it is harsh and edgy, and the volume pot has too little range of movement for my liking.

I have no idea why they thought CD needed to be so much louder than preceding source components, but here we are!

When I bought my first CD player in 93, a Marantz CD63, I asked my dealer why it was much louder with the volume control in the same position than my record player, tape deck, VCR or radio, I was told in was in order to sell them, to make them more dynamic and impressive on a short demonstration. Like many others I found this to give a hard and edgy sound, luckily on the little Marantz player you could attenuate the output so it was easily matched to the other components. Nowadays I normally use an inline attenuators.

Overload can only occur with amps that have circuitry/gain before the vol control.... It may be that you can only use up to "number 2" on the vol control but it won't overload...

Impossible to generalise on this... many modern (by which I mean mid 80's on) integrated amps are just a passive feeding a power amp but not all are. Most old MF's should be OK (pre around 1991). I don't know about later ones.

advertisement

Back