advertisement

Amp upgrade for Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers

Tempted by that Onkyo, but the ebayer seems a little shady. On the other hand I've found a Rotel RA-02, in great condition, sold by the original owner, on a French classifieds site. 140 Euro + unknown shipping. If it turns up defective I've got a local repair guy to have a look at it.

Amazing suggestions, thankyou, didn't expect so many. Think I'm going to go with Rotel.
Great little amp. I guarantee you’ll be impressed. So much so that you’ll consider upgrading your speakers ;)

Good choice in a Rotel, don't forget the import duty ect coming from France, I thought you'd get a better deal buying in the uk. I haven't had a look at Rotel intergated's on ebay, if there isn't one suitable now, you can be pretty sure you won't wait long for one to show up.

Good choice in a Rotel, don't forget the import duty ect coming from France, I thought you'd get a better deal buying in the uk. I haven't had a look at Rotel intergated's on ebay, if there isn't one suitable now, you can be pretty sure you won't wait long for one to show up.
There are a few in the £150 to 250 range, some at dealers with warranty but nothing looks amazing, a couple weeks would likely see a really nice one pop up though.

That.. is a very good point. Think it might be prudent not to order this sort of item from the EU.

Will keep stalking ebay I guess. Trouble is it's a hot market at the moment with many selling used audio gear as "fully working" that is not. Had my fingers burnt this last year with about half of all audio purchases I've made. Granted two were old cassette players, always a worry with those.

Came to the same conclusion as Amber Audio above, nothing stands out ATM.

That.. is a very good point. Think it might be prudent not to order this sort of item from the EU.

Will keep stalking ebay I guess. Trouble is it's a hot market at the moment with many selling used audio gear as "fully working" that is not. Had my fingers burnt this last year with about half of all audio purchases I've made. Granted two were old cassette players, always a worry with those.

Came to the same conclusion as Amber Audio above, nothing stands out ATM.
I prefer dealing on HiFi forum classifieds like WigWam or Pink Fish - stick a WTD Ad while you stalk eBay/HiFiShark.

Trouble is it's a hot market at the moment with many selling used audio gear as "fully working" that is not. Had my fingers burnt this last year with about half of all audio purchases I've made.

If you pay with PayPal you should be ok?

If you pay with PayPal you should be ok?
Just don't like the hassle of the inevitable return, and possible non-communication/dispute by the seller. Some are lovely about it, some not so much. Might still take a gamble.

Maybe being thick but can't see how or where to post a WTD ad. Maybe need to post 50 times, should start advising people as opposed to just being advised. I know a lot more about music than equipment mind.

Just don't like the hassle of the inevitable return, and possible non-communication/dispute by the seller. Some are lovely about it, some not so much. Might still take a gamble.

Maybe being thick but can't see how or where to post a WTD ad. Maybe need to post 50 times, should start advising people as opposed to just being advised. I know a lot more about music than equipment mind.
You will get to 50 posts in 20 minutes by doing starting one of the following threads and replying to each post as they pop in:

Mains cables
USB cables
Network cables
Speaker cables
Any type of cable at all
MQA
Network Switches
Who’s the best interior designer, Boris J or Llewelyn-Bowen​

I was gonna suggest a used Rega Brio but I think the MM stage in it is 220pF, still a great amp though.
Great shout, Gus.

Personally, I don't feel that other than a 100pF phono input load should necessarily constitute a deal breaker with A-T MMs, however, Brio history is interesting here. Specifically, both the original Brio on the half-shell, and the full clamshell version, have 100pF across the phono input; this continued through Brio 2000 and Brio 3, but was changed to 220pF starting with Brio-R and continues in the current Brio '2017'.

IIANM, only the current model Brio '2017' offers a headphone socket.

Great shout, Gus.

Personally, I don't feel that other than a 100pF phono input load should necessarily constitute a deal breaker with A-T MMs, however, Brio history is interesting here. Specifically, both the original Brio on the half-shell, and the full clamshell version, have 100pF across the phono input; this continued through Brio 2000 and Brio 3, but was changed to 220pF starting with Brio-R and continues in the current Brio '2017'.

yeah an older Brio would have been an option but it would need a headphone amp adding so likely blow the budget, a Rega Ear Mk1 would be over a £ton I think.

I've long wanted one of these for the collection. Note the stackable Deltron plugs...

700275-7f552357-rega_headphone_adsapter.jpg

Great shout, Gus.

I agree about not strictly needing 100pF for AT carts. I had an Art DJ Pre II with my previous setup, running T4P ATs. Switching between 100 and 200pF made no difference. However now I have a turntable from 1976 with its own interconnects that don't look special, so to be on the safe side I'd rather keep the capacitance low. Suppose I should get round to obtaining a multimeter, or even better opening up the turntable and fixing my own interconnects there (nothing special, cheap low capacitance ones, I don't believe in spending loads on cables).

Rega Brios look too expensive anyway.

I think you will find that the capacitance of your Hitachi lead is fine.

These decks were sold factory fitted with an OEM version of audio-technica AT-10 (Hitachi DS-ST26, a 0.7mil spherical with 'Hitachi VM' printed on the front label).

I think you will find that the capacitance of your Hitachi lead is fine.

These decks were sold factory fitted with an OEM version of audio-technica AT-10 (Hitachi DS-ST26, a 0.7mil spherical with 'Hitachi VM' printed on the front label).
Woah this is the information I need. Not many people seem to have these Hitachis.

advertisement

Back