advertisement

Amp recommendations

kwmason

Won Ton On
hi,
I’ve had a great amp history in the last 10 years my favourite probably being the Dynavector hx100 - so much music in such a small foot print. I’m currently loving the music from an Ear 899 valve integrated.
It’s huge though and needs lots of space due to the heat it gives out. Too much space as it prevent me having 2 turntables side by side due to my rack size.

Perhaps I should return to smaller solid state but my first valve experience is fantastic.

Any suggestions for others to try with the level of output I like- I currently drive Shahinian arcs but will be returning to obelisks or higher given the chance

I’ve driven my obs 2’s with Naim nap300, then bryston b4SST2, both of which were fine but since settling on Vitus I have no plans to change.

Best thing I've had driving Obs is my current Pass Labs Aleph 2's, after that it was a modwright

Pass Labs Aleph 2
Modwright KWI 200 (HTBP with Modwright LS 36.5)
Dynavector HX1.2 mk2
Dynavector HX75
Sugden A21SE

Not sure that would work very well, the hawks are 87dB and 6ohm so you’d really need a 4ohm output transformer tapped valve amp with a lot of power.

First one that springs to mind is a VTL.

Another option could be to use a valve amp to drive the mid/tweeters and SS for the woofers.

Maybe see if you could loan a class D amp? Try giving Colin North a call at Nord Acoustics.

Maybe see if you could loan a class D amp? Try giving Colin North a call at Nord Acoustics.

Although no experience of them, I have been intrigued by amps like like the ones Nord Acoustics produce and I have read nothing but good about them. Might be worth trying.

I think, that if you enjoy the sound of the 899, you'll not find much similarity in class D amps, but you might listen in case. I'd be thinking class A (also good radiators!) or a smaller push pull valve design...a bit more power, a bit less heat. Of these Puresound are lovely, smaller than the EAR I think, or Unison do some compacter sesigns. Both have been aroud for years, so good used ones should be in budget.

My previous amp was a VTL S200 and have recently replaced it with an Audionet Amp 1 V2, [preferred to a Vitus intergrated] which I am extremely happy with. My brother owned mk 1 Obelisks so do have experience with them and I think the Audionet would be a great match for Obelisks

Not sure that would work very well, the hawks are 87dB and 6ohm so you’d really need a 4ohm output transformer tapped valve amp with a lot of power.

First one that springs to mind is a VTL.

Another option could be to use a valve amp to drive the mid/tweeters and SS for the woofers.

Hawks with big VTLs......now that's a combo I want to hear!

I've heard the Nord amps with my speakers and IPL acoustics. Good amps but the midrange is a bit too grey or dry sounding for my taste.

Devialet D220 pro.... then if more powers needed get another and make them into a D440 Pro.
Plus it's supposed to have one of the best phonestages available ATM. I don't have a TT so can't prove this statement.

Hi all,

im back to this amp enquiry. I did purchase some hawks and on certain music (less complex) the ear 899 delivers fantastically and the speakers are just amazing, much better than obelisk 2's in my room. BUT on music with more complexity org run you can hear the amps limitations.

From the amps available used at the moment Im considering a VTL -IT85, which i can possible upgrade by adding a ST85. anyone seen on other forums any suitable amps for sale?

advertisement

Back