advertisement

Amp or speakers?

Would prefer new. Speakers would need to be reasonably compact and close to wall.
I purchased the TT new last year at a cost of £4K
The amp and speakers only cost £800 combined so wanted to balance the system a bit!

Hi. No one has asked, and you haven’t said what you’d like to improve on? You can easily throw money at it, but for what end game?

Better Imaging
More Bass
Finesse
Wider/Deeper soundstage?

I had Neat Motive SX3 with the newer Brio and was a great pairing. I think something like that would give your system a real boost. Very quick and great bass for their size, work close to a wall too. You can buy a second hand pair in good condition for around 600, 1150 new. If not too bothered about bass and need to go very close to a wall then proac tablet 10 are good also. If you sold your brio you could buy a elex-r and pair of motive sx3 second hand by investing your 1k. It would be a good system, quite old school, and match for your lp12.

Do I upgrade amp or speakers? Suggestions appreciated.

Best mention room size if you want meaningful suggestions. Also what kind of placement options you have; do you need to place them close to a wall? And what you are looking for when you listen to music? Sharp, vivid, imaging that makes a piano stand clearly in front of the orchestra? A warm, immersive, room filling experience? Etc.

Only had an hour with them. Definitely a step up from the 607s. Bigger richer sound. So far so good

they look very nice, be interesting to hear what your verdict is when you've listened to them a while
and of course as seen in your pic, nothing beats a decent sideboard and round mirror set up :D

Untitled by fegsfoto, on Flickr

Is this after a marathon session or are you as heedless as me ;) What’s that slim, pink volume?

Of the OP’s new speakers, there seems to be a fashion for adding a little bit of Star Anise to some designs..

As mentioned, buying used will result in better bang for your buck.

Personally, I’d opt for upgrading the Amp. You can buy the best speakers in the world but they will only be as good as what’s feeding them.

As an example, I bought a used pair of small Pro-Ac Tablet Anniversary (on a whim) from a local HiFi shop, absolutely love them and the sound quality improves with every upgrade to my system, so why change them?

The Brio is a fantastic amp, but selling that plus your £1k budget could get you something very nice, used. Maybe a Naim Supernait 1 if you look around.

Just my 2-pence worth, but good luck with whatever decision you make,

Dan.

I assume these are the "meta" version? Hard to tell from the pic. I imagine that the meta technology (as far as I can tell its like room acoustic treatment but built into the back of the driver) allows you to place them closer to a wall than their non-meta predecessor, or other typical standpoints for that matter?

I have the active version. As far as I know the 'Meta' rear absorbing only affects the treble so makes no difference to bass port output (on the passive version).

Speakers are 12cm from the rear wall. I’ve used the complete foam bungs as instructed in the manual. I’ve not had a chance to experiment with the partial bung yet. At 50cm from the rear wall Kef say bungs are not necessary. Really impressed with the sound so far.

What’s that slim, pink volume?
51X4rb6TAUL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

You’ve a very good TT.

TBH I would advise flog both and buy used, something along the lines of an Exposure pre/power (as better VFM than Naim Olive/CB) and Ruark speakers, Talisman or mk2 Crusaders. Buy undervalued used and you’ll get something mindblowingly good.

Speakers are 12cm from the rear wall. I’ve used the complete foam bungs as instructed in the manual. I’ve not had a chance to experiment with the partial bung yet. At 50cm from the rear wall Kef say bungs are not necessary. Really impressed with the sound so far.
Nice one! I've been interested in the LS50s because I have a small room and can only space my speakers a similar distance from the wall, so it's good to read your impressions. I even have an amplifier bought specifically to drive low impedance speakers such as these.

What do the bungs look like? Were you supplied with two sets?

advertisement

Back