advertisement

Amp match for JR149 speakers

banjoman

pfm Member
Just got hold of a pair of JR 149 speakers in great condition - something I have always wanted to have - for looks alone.
It's part of a plan to build an aesthetically pleasing and nice sounding 70s system - A Michell Hydraulic Ref TT, Sugden A21 and JR149s.

As my A21 is currently being serviced, I ran the JR149s on an Onix OA21 and it's sounding much better than I expected! Vocals and timbre are great, beats are fast and bass is surprising tuneful. Only thing is - I note a wee bit of brightness at the top end with some music but not bad at all.

I am sure the Sugden will add some more character and fullness to the sound.
But got me wondering if there is a classic amp match for the JR149s - something from the same period?
Is there?

Back in the 1970's I had a friend with an AR 60 and JR149s. The first real hi-fi I ever heard.

I'm sure there are better matches but is sounded mighty fine.

They seem to like a bit of power and grip. Of the three amps I've tried my pair with they work the best with a Quad 306 (very nicely indeed IMO), a little less well with a Quad 303 and not very well at all with a Leak Stereo 20. The Leak really sounded like it was struggling, just undynamic and flat, which surprised me given they are a popular match with LS3/5As in Japan. I bet the Onix would work well, it's a grippy little amp (I had one back in the 80s and loved it).

I've used mine with an A&R A60 and the speakers sounded fantastic, the A&R A60 is a very musical amp IMO however I've since changed to a Rega Brio-R and there's no doubt that the speakers sound better with the Rega especially if you crank up the volume.

I've also had them on the end of an ninties Sony ES amp but wasn't impressed and sold the amp sharpish.

They really work nicely on a Naim NAC12/NAP120 or NAC42/NAP110.

There's a picture on my JR149 restoration thread (ongoing!) here of Jim Rogers using a NAP120 in his lab, so it looks like it might be the amp they were actually designed with!

Interesting options - I would not have assumed naim amps to go well with the JR149s, but having had good results with the Onix, can believe that now. Unfortunately, not left with any Naim gear now, but in the process of getting a quad 405.
So that will be my next port of call along with a Sugden A21.
If they do like a bit of power, I might give my Sony 770ES a go as well

There's a picture on my JR149 restoration thread (ongoing!) here of Jim Rogers using a NAP120 in his lab, so it looks like it might be the amp they were actually designed with!

Tony
The stands for your JR149s look perfect. Where did you get em from?

The stands for your JR149s look perfect. Where did you get em from?

They are fairly budget Soundstyle, Z1 IIRC. Pretty decent once sand-filled, though the top-plate is a little to long front to back so the corners protrude just a little. I didn't buy them for the 149s, they are just some stands I had knocking around.

I should have access to a mint 22/120 combo over the next few weeks (still in their original hand written boxes, sold by Jeffries Hi Fi in 1977 from what I can make out). I had a brief listen to them with a pair of PMC 21's and they sound promising, but looking forward to getting them home and trying them with Garrard 301/RB303 and nice pair of late Kans (II).

Toshiba output transistors on the 120? Some say the 120 is the least Naim sounding amp they ever made. Don't think it will be a match for my CB 160, more intrigued by the 22. I'll try and photograph them and report back.

Unfortunately I don't have access to 149s, last time I heard a pair would be my Maths teacher's at school, (Thorens/Quad) and certainly there were pairs at Falcon over the years. From memory 149s are quite demanding of amplifiers.

The first time I heard the JR149s was with a 32/160. I had no idea that hifi could sound like that at the time, and this was one of the few sentinel events that made me follow music and audio over my lifetime.

I know this is an 8+ year old thread, but since I acquired a pair of JR149's a couple of weeks ago that I've been really enjoying, I've been pulling up everything and anything I can find online about them. So I thought I'd add my amp choice to this in the event that it's of interest to either current or new/prospective one's. As you can see from my avatar, I'm extremely lucky to own several McIntosh tube amps. After reading how a lot of LS3/5A's owners use a McIntosh MC225 with their speakers, I decided to try mine out on the 149's. I have a medium sized room, and volume levels are kept to a moderate level. The 225 conservatively is good for about 35 watts, and I'm running the 149's off the 16ohm taps. And I must say the sound is glorious. Extremely listenable, smooth with sparkling highs, and very adequate bass. Really a wonderful match.

Mine are run from a Quad 303 at the moment.
Liked them on an A&R a60 and then an A&R sa200 but at the end of the day prefer the Quad for them

Mine are run from a Quad 303 at the moment.
Liked them on an A&R a60 and then an A&R sa200 but at the end of the day prefer the Quad for them
What preamp do you use with the Quad, Julian? How do the Quads dynamics & bass compare to those of the two A&Rs?

Durmbo: I currently use a (DADA) upgraded Quad 33 - I know its not everyone's favourite but it works for me.

Alas _ I have not run either A&R amps in a direct comparison to the Quad system. I live in a narrow old rowhouse in Toronto and there is only so much HIFI gear that my wife will agree to have in the living room at any one time.
That experiment will have to wait for another day.

advertisement

Back