advertisement

amp for NAC282

Many thanks again to everyone who's responded. The choice seems to be either a 180/200 or CB 250.

I think I'm leaning toward the CB 250 -- it would be fun to see what a "vintage" Naim amp can do.

Yuckyamson: I have a Kore on my LP12, so probably not looking to upgrade the subchassis for a while. (Though I've heard very good things about the Greenstreet.) There might be a Radikal down the road for me, though!
Don't go for anything less than a matching black box 200 or 250 DR
Where are you in NYC?

Don't go for anything less than a matching black box 200 or 250 DR
Where are you in NYC?

In the OP's first post:

"Budget is tight to avoid divorce proceedings. Ideally, I'd keep this amp for a few years, then get a 250DR when my wife has her back turned."

And:

"Do I get a CB 250? Shoebox Naim amps would also work -- 140, 110, or perhaps the new 100."

So we aren't talking about an amp to see the owner out, and budget is tight. From the OP's amp suggestions I'm guessing a budget of the equivalent of £4-750?

The reason you are getting lots of different advice here is the basic reality that the naim power amps up to the NAP300 are all based on the same circuit design, with the exception of the 250 and 135, which are regulated. There is a school of thought that, assuming you have enough power from your chosen amp, the differences in component tolerance between these amps outweighs the differences between the models, certainly when you are looking at older second hand gear where the components may have drifted over time...

So, the first and main choice is to decide whether to go regulated (135, 250) or unregulated (the rest). You'll get different advice on here, basically people who favour regulated amps find them more controlled, with unregulated being a bit flappy, whilst the unregulated advocates find regulated amps sound strangled, whilst unregulated breath life back into recordings.

Having untangled that, you then choose which colour you like best, and if unregulated, whether you find half width cases cute. Simples!

Cesare

AH. Copy. Why yes if you've got a Kore it doesn't make much sense. So now you simply have to tell me the differences upgrading to that sucker made. I'm dying to know.

I had the Kore installed when I had the whole turntable put together (by the lovely folks at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisco, NY), so I've never heard it without.

Strange but true: I was in the middle of a crisis situation at work (like an actual crisis, not that someone lost a file or something) when David from Accent called me to ask what kind of cartridge I'd like to order. Naturally, I had my priorities straight and stepped outside to take the call -- and I just decided to do the Kore then and there. Perhaps I was trying to create some good news on a bad day? At any rate, it sounds pretty damn fine to me, and all the better when I added a Zu Audio DL-103.

I had the Kore installed when I had the whole turntable put together (by the lovely folks at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisco, NY), so I've never heard it without.

Strange but true: I was in the middle of a crisis situation at work (like an actual crisis, not that someone lost a file or something) when David from Accent called me to ask what kind of cartridge I'd like to order. Naturally, I had my priorities straight and stepped outside to take the call -- and I just decided to do the Kore then and there. Perhaps I was trying to create some good news on a bad day? At any rate, it sounds pretty damn fine to me, and all the better when I added a Zu Audio DL-103.

Clearly a man of action.

Anyway I'm curious to hear a Zu-103 AFTER it's stylus has been changed to elyptical/shibata/microline instead of that conical thing. Because that cart is just SO damned fun, I'm too curious.

I keep harping that the best value in audio is Soundsmith Rebuilds. I've done 3. Here' my suggestion: pay the cleaning lady to 'accidentally' clean the table. Then ship it off to SS. You'll be in further musical bliss.

Did you consider a Chord? There was a guy on here who was considering matching a naim pre with a chord power, and never reported back on it. but I thought it was a good idea **TO TRY**. You never know with these things what's gonna match with what, perhaps some guys like James (Ergo) can stare at a spec sheet and figure out what electrically matches and what doesn't, but if they did match together well it would be an interesting option for your Orangutan's given they tend to like good, warm control. Just a thought.

Nap 250 is much better amp for 282 than 200.282/200 without hicap sounds horiblle.I can't beleive my ears what I am hearing until I ad hicap.Even with hicap nap 200 souds harsh and agresive with 282.250 is much better pair for my ears

Nap 250 is much better amp for 282 than 200.282/200 without hicap sounds horiblle.I can't beleive my ears what I am hearing until I ad hicap.Even with hicap nap 200 souds harsh and agresive with 282.250 is much better pair for my ears

It depends on the speakers too. I currently have the 282/200/Dual Teddycap on Harbeth SHL5 and the sound is certainly not harsh and aggressive. As a matter of fact I find the sound to be a tad smooth.

I have RSL'd NAC72 with NAP200. I would not say it is harsh but I don't use it for driving rock at high volumes. That could be a different experience entirely.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

I'm still weighing my options. I've been doing a bit of reading on the NAP160 -- might be fun to run a bit of Naim history for a while. Has anyone paired a 160 with a 282?

My Devore speakers are on the warm side of neutral, so I'm not too worried about the amp/speaker interaction (I currently have a Supernait mk1).

I might have missed it, but is your HiCAP DR'd?

282 here with HiCAP DR, first run with a 200, which worked well. Then swapped to the 250 DR, which was obviously a step up. The 250 series is the natural partner of the 282, depending on what series you go with, they will have a different presentation. If budget doesn't currently allow, I'd have no problem recommending the 200.

Joe, before you make any decisions, I would try running the 282 into your Supernait. It should sound quite a bit better than the SN alone, and you can put the cash you save towards a 250DR, which is a fantastic amp, and a big improvement on the non-DR version. If you must make an interim change, a 200 works very well with a 282.

Hello again, everyone -- Joe the OP here.

In response to the pound's favorable gyration toward us 'Mericans, I decided to relieve the good folks at Cymbiosis of a 2005-vintage 250.2. Darran at Class A is giving it a service and converting the voltage. Can't wait to get it over to these shores and have a listen.

Since soon I shall part with the onboard DAC in my Supernait, I also got a new Chord 2Qute from the UK, which at the moment is playing FIP Paris (my favorite streaming radio station). A nice improvement over the DAC in the SN1: clearer, punchier, more vivid, more detailed, all that good shit. (Though the SN's DAC is nothing at which to sniff. A capable entry point into Internet audio.)

I'll report back on how I get on with the new setup.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

The NAC 282/HiCap/NAP 200 combo makes for a fun and entertaining listen. The NAP 200 also has the advantage of looking exactly like a NAP 250 DR, which would certainly make a future upgrade much easier to sneak into the rack.

advertisement

Back