advertisement

Amp for KEF Reference 101

Hi all, first time post here.

I’ve always wanted a pair of classic KEFs - either the Reference 101 or the 104ab - and I’m finally in a position to go for it. My understanding is that the 101s are very power hungry, though. Currently I’m without any system at all, apart from a two-speed Manticore Mantra, which was my father’s, and which I’m going to upgrade via Origin Live’s arm mods.
I love the sound of valves, and am very tempted by something like the Music Angel KT88 or one of the Vincent hybrids (this is all going to be second-hand). There’s also a first model Rega Mira in the possibilities mix.
Not wedded to the 101s, but I think I’m stuck on a classic KEF.

The '101s aren't that power hungry and if you like valves, try a Quad 303.
It's very ' valve ' like, in my opinion.
Then choose a preamp.
Passive ones work well.

I really couldn’t say, as my only experience of a modern amplifier is the Marantz PM6004.
That works very well with my Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 speakers.

Forgive these basic questions, but is there a massive difference between the 101 and the 103/2 in terms of sound (I’m thinking bass in particular - I listen to most things, but I’d want to do Late Romantic symphonies proper justice)?

I don't have any experience with the 101 but I've got 103.2 and have had some ls3/5a at the same time, which I believe that the 101 aimed to rival when they were produced. I think the midrange of the 103.2 was slightly bettered by the ls3/5a but there didn't seem to be all that much in it to me, but the 103.2 bass performance is loads better in that they're reasonably punchy and dig a fair bit deeper so you don't feel like you're missing anything from the music. So I sold on my ls3/5a (for several times what I paid for the 103.2).

There's plenty of comments on the web stating that the 103.2's also need lots of power but I've run mine with several low-ish power amps including the little Puresound A10, Quad 33/303 and now currently using a Marantz pm4 at only 15wpc, and that works really well.

Brilliant. I’m currently looking at something that puts out 80wpc at 4 Ohm so I think that’ll be OK. I’m leaning towards the 103.2s because my listening room is quite big (but weirdly configured), although a lot of people say that the 101s put out significant bass compared to the ls3/5s.

I've had experience driving 101's with 3 amps:
Nait 2 - tonally this was very good. At first i thought it drove them well, but when switched to a stroger amp they do open a lot in moderate volumes and up.
Densen DM30 - a 100W dual mono small beast. The base opened and things hung very nicely Tonally this was not 100%. The 101 are flat and the Densen is full sounding and robust, it was a bit closed up top.
Aaron 3.0 - Not very different but a perfect combination. A bit lighter, but so open. Apart from some congestion in the bass inherent to the speaker so i believe, it's perfect.

To summarize, 18 watts are not enough, and speaker is very transparent.

I have used a variety of modestly powered amps (Cyrus, Exposure, Rotel, Audiolab) with my 103.2's, and they've performed consistently, though found that a bit more power made it all seem very effortless and gave a bit more headroom too.

Vastly under rated speakers, in my opinion, and given that prices for the 101's have gone absolutely stratospheric over the last few years, I would definitely be prioritising the 103.2's.

Playing Devil's advocate here....you will get an absolutely perfect condition pair of 104aB for quite a bit less than the 101, and get yourself a fair bit more bass extension/scale into the bargain, perhaps at the expense of a touch of midrange clarity.
Also look at the Calinda which is really a kind of "perfected" 104. Can often be found for £150-£250!

There's also the 103.3...which is supposed to be terrific. If you are lucky you might pick up a pair with the integrated stands and the Kube for less than a set of 101.

Most older (pre-1990s) Kefs seem to be quite undervalued (apart from the huge ones), and they are very very capable performers.

advertisement

Back