advertisement

Amp for Focal Spectral 913.1

blimey yank .. i have never ever seen spectral with focal . have you heard some with them ?
I have and yes, it’s a fantastic combination. The speed and energy delivery of the Spectrals is absolutely playing to the Focal strengths. The nearest equivalent is Albarry, IME.

Good though the Albarry M1008's were my Musical Fidelity A370 easily beat them... Had a Spectral power amp in once and wasn't overly impressed by the sound. Build quality was impressive though.

After testing Lavardin IS Ref for few days I found it was not even in the same league with my current amp.
It might be a nice amp for someone but unfortunately not for me.
It was like having heavy blankets on my speakers, saying it short and without too much moaning .
I think I need to stretch my budget a lot to get anything what would be close to my current amp.
One of my friends recently bought Yamaha AS3000 and he seems to be very happy with it.
Bloody lockdown, I can't pay him a visit :(:eek:

thanks for update stony , back to the drawing board then !!! it certainly sounded good with tannoys !!

thanks for update stony , back to the drawing board then !!! it certainly sounded good with tannoys !!

You have to try yourself some things to find out it's good for you or not. It was great fun to get some new experience anyway.
The last time when I made changes in my setup it was about 15 years ago :eek:

I tried it with my Tannoys as well.

I appreciate your help a lot Hifinutt !!! Thank you :):cool:

Last edited:
yes thanks , i have tried about 15 amps with tannoys and taus , its great fun !!! so far class D has won with tannoys on cost and sound

however a friend has just bought some more 1028be [ he bought my last pair ] and i felt gato class AB might be good to try . so we shall see how he gets on as its in situ now . best sound i got was with my lovely belles Mb100 with focal 1028

There is Marantz PM15 for sale. I thought to give it a chance but it is few hours of driving from me (B.. lockdown again).
I know that's one of the audio legends but I am not sure how it compares with modern amps considering that they were made 25 years ago.

yes that may well sound fab . chap on the wam called Dom T often raves about the older marantz . the newer ones seem to have gone class D and i am not convinced class d is best match for focal , i might be wrong . the pm10 seems to come up for sale a great deal . shame about lockdown as you would hardly want to get stopped !!

I am not convinced by class d as well but all of us we might be forced to it one day/

What about Accuphase or other class A amps ?
Neither with my Focals or Tannoys I do not really need more than 15-20W.

I haven't listened to the older exposure but have recently bought the 3010S2D and its really good. My speakers are neat momentum sx3i, with my previous amp they could be a little shrill with S's being over emphasised, both on music and spoken voice. The new amp has taken the edge right off the treble. Good test i find for sharp treble is Out of Time Man by Mick Harvey. If you listen in a good system you will hear that his S's are sharp, having listened with a few speakers and amp combinations some either over or under emphasis this, its a good test for whatever amp you decide on.

advertisement

Back