Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amp for Focal Spectral 913.1

Discussion in 'audio' started by stony, Jan 13, 2021.

1. stony

stony Member

What I found so far recommended amps for Focal speakers are as follow :

1. Belles, in particular the Belles Aria
    2. Lavardin
    3. Albarry
    4. Exposure 3010s2

Should I take something else into consideration ?

Thanks guys.

P.S. I have got a strange feeling about "memory distortion" feature they are talking about.
    Isn't just an amp working in A class ?

2. terrycym

terrycym pfm Member

What about Naim?
    They are the same company after all and there ought to be a synergy?

3. ABCaudio

ABCaudio Trade: ABCaudio, representing EWA

Focal & Naim synergy: not always when I heard that combination.

Focal, a bit like early Triangle (which I used to own) can have a rep for fierce top end. I certainly understand why, but in both cases a suitably high quality, preferably class A amplifier completely sorts it, at least in my limited experience.

I am afraid I haven't heard any combination from the OP, but based on recent experiences through work I might well discount the Lavardin. Previously I heard the Exposure and the Albarry and love them both, but not sure with Focal.

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

As with virtually all speakers, virtually all amps will be fine with them.

booja30, naimplayer and Shane2468 like this.
  5. stony

stony Member

I had X2 for few days, it did not work well.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. stony

stony Member

Almost forgot...

What about Yamaha a-s2100 ?
    Few months ago I was really impressed with it but I was not thinking about getting a new amp at this time so I did not bother to test it with Focals.

7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

no focal and naim were completely separate companies , then naim bought focal . utterly different in my opinion . i havnt heard a naim focal combo i like yet !!!! Belles is a superb brand , tony at coherant was the foremost seller of focal until he took on cabasse [ another french make] he sold and still sells belles . lovely lovely amps . well made . i had their belles mb200 monoblocks and their VT-o1 pre was one of the best pre amps i have heard . I would have one but like all these amps they often have lousy remotes !!!

I do know someone with a lavardin IS ref who may sell after this lockdown, no remote of course

stony likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Not a fan of Naim, and Focal just reminds me why not, as a rule. YMMV obvs. Albarry and Lavardin for me, every time. Could be tempted by a nice IS Ref if the price is right ;). Had one here for a bit, on loan, loved it.would make a fab heart of a second system

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

The other match made in heaven for Focal is Accuphase. Design focus on phase accuracy in both does seem to just click.

stony likes this.
  10. terrycym

terrycym pfm Member

When I’ve seen Focals in shows, they’ve used Naim amps
    Sounded bloody awful mind you.

hifinutt likes this.
  11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I have to say I know this is a common opinion, but IME it’s often a matter of ‘don’t shoot the messenger’. Focals can be a bit ruthless in exposing flaws upstream, and any harshness is often attributable to something in the source, or an amplifier under stress for some reason or other. For years I used Focal with Albarry amps, which are absolutely not ‘on the warm relaxed side’ and it was a fabulously musical combination.

davidjt and stony like this.
  12. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  13. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  14. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I once had some focal 1028be with Tom Evans vibe and some belles amps. It was a superb combo , really enjoyed it

But not to long ago I heard a kanta 3 with a naim supernait 2 and it was like being flown over by Concorde....exhilarating but not for more than 5 mins !!!!!!

15. stony

stony Member

I have been offered an almost new Lavardin ISx, 10 months of warranty left and older Lavardin IT from 2013. First one is £1400, second one £1800.

What's a difference between them ?

16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

wow ... I would DEFO take the ISx , much younger model and has a REMOTE !!! its pretty hard shifting amps without a remote sometimes . that is a brilliant price imho especially with a warrenty. it will sound awesome with the focal . I had a ref is here not too long ago

stony likes this.
  17. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Not meant to be rude at all just an opinion Sue.
    I have deleted the posts.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Thanks, likewise :)

Curtis likes this.
  19. stony

stony Member

Lavardin ITX on french ebay just sold yesterday for £2,086.49
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=224312092993

20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

nice , thats a good price too