advertisement

Amp for Dynaudio Evoke20?

Sifi

Does anybody have any suggestions for an amp to go with my recently acquired Dynaudio Evoke 20's?
I'm currently using a 25 year old Moth Passive pre/power 30 combo, streaming from Tidal on laptop through an IRDAC. I love the engaging sound of the Dynaudios, but need a fair bit more juice from an amp to properly drive them as they are low sensitivity and nominal resistance. To my ears, I'm lacking a bit of vocal presence in the sounstage and a bit of top end with my Moth combo. The laptop/IRDAC works fine with my powered Genelec Studio monitors top end wise.
I'm on a bit of a budget, so looking second hand ideally in the 1-2k price range.

So far I've almost narrowed it down to a Supernait 2 or Exposure 3010s2D, but the truth is I've not heard either and probably wont get to as I'm looking second hand.

Any help or experience particularly with Dynaudio speakers greatly appreciated!

Simon

Does anybody have any suggestions for an amp to go with my recently acquired Dynaudio Evoke 20's?
I'm currently using a 25 year old Moth Passive pre/power 30 combo, streaming from Tidal on laptop through an IRDAC. I love the engaging sound of the Dynaudios, but need a fair bit more juice from an amp to properly drive them as they are low sensitivity and nominal resistance. To my ears, I'm lacking a bit of vocal presence in the sounstage and a bit of top end with my Moth combo. The laptop/IRDAC works fine with my powered Genelec Studio monitors top end wise.
I'm on a bit of a budget, so looking second hand ideally in the 1-2k price range.

So far I've almost narrowed it down to a Supernait 2 or Exposure 3010s2D, but the truth is I've not heard either and probably wont get to as I'm looking second hand.

Simon

I wouldn’t dismiss the Scandinavian electronics brands as they are often paired with Dyns in the home markets. You should get a nice Hegel or Primare option for (the top end of) that budget.

HTH

Iain.

Have a look at available Densen amps.

I use a Copland preamp into Densen mono-blocks playing a pair of rather inefficient DIY loudspeakers with Scan-speak drivers. Works superbly together.

Simon
Any chance you could borrow something from a mate or dealer to get a reference on what you like/don't like about that particular amp with your speakers? It would help folk suggest things.

FWIW I liked Cyrus Pre/Power with Contour 1.8Mk2. An amp I was dead impressed with and seems to fly under the radar a bit was a Roksan Caspian.

Reactions: RoA
Either Exposure or Naim would work well, but on a budget the Nait XS3 or XS2, or maybe the Roksan Caspian M2 or K3 would also do a good job.

Thanks everybody for your prompt suggestions:)

Borrowing some amps is a good call as a starting point as I've not much idea how my Moth combo sounds compared to other better known modern amps.
Lots more research for me to do on all the amps suggested so far, although I'm of a mind to stick with British manufacturers for the ease of potential repair as I'm looking second hand.
Also the fewer features the better, just a few analogue inputs and remote control volume as I don't use vinyl and have an outboard DAC.

Thanks again for all your input:)

A used Krell KAV400XI will give you all the grunt and grip you’ll ever need (I had a Krell/Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 combo for years - with a Copland cd player).

I also had a Naim cd5x/112/150/Flatcap with Dynaudio which offered a punchy yet smooth sound.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back