advertisement

Amp-Crossover-Speaker connection quiz...

Mr Tibbs

Infinitely Baffled Member
At the mo my NCC200 amps connect to the Ergo-III crossovers using approx 3.5M of NACA5. The XO's sit right behind the E-III's.

I was thinking of trying some Mogami cable, possible going for the 6-core stuff so I can play around with connection methods. 6-core opens up the possibility of the following two methods:

Mogami-closeXO.JPG

Mogami-farXO.JPG

Comments anyone?

Mr Tibbs

Excellent scheme, been using just such a system for years Mr. Tibbs. - It seems that the sooner the frequencies are separated, the clearer the sound.

Hi Mr Tibbs,

I take it that you intend using Mogami 2919 six core cable. Have you had any luck soucing any? I want to try this to tri-wire my Kabers but cannot source any in the UK. I can get hold of a 100 metre reel at £6.72 a metre but this is a little more than I need!!!!

Cheers

Graham

I am using my NCC in a bi-wired config with MIT cables and they sound clearly better than single-wired Linn k20, which AFAIK are similar to NACA4. My speakers are from BC-acoustique (French).

BTW, I've tried bi-amping using NAP180 in addition to the NCC, but didn't like it. Each amp separately sounded better than the combination.

Excellent scheme, been using just such a system for years Mr. Tibbs. - It seems that the sooner the frequencies are separated, the clearer the sound.

Les, You'd go for method 'A' then? (with the crossover close-coupled to the power amp) - I assume the NCC200 will be stable with the crossover right at its output?

I take it that you intend using Mogami 2919 six core cable. Have you had any luck soucing any? I want to try this to tri-wire my Kabers but cannot source any in the UK. I can get hold of a 100 metre reel at £6.72 a metre but this is a little more than I need!!!!

Graham, where have you tried so far?

Mr Tibbs

I think that I've tried all the UK Hifi shops that stock Mogami. I've phoned the UK Mogami importer who do not bring it in as a standard shipment but can bring me in a roll of 100 metres at £6.72 per metre (can't remember if this include VAT). I think that there are one or two shops in Europe (France and Germany) that may do it.
Have you found a source?

Cheers

Graham

Graham, unfortunately I haven't found a source of the 2919. Do you know is the 4-core stuff available in the UK?

Mr Tibbs

The 4-core, 2972 is redily available at £10 per metre form Adventures in Hifi and Phonography. I'm determined to track down some 2919 even if I have too buy it from Europe. If I get any quotes per metre and postage I will let you know. What lengths are you looking for?

Cheers

Graham

From Mr. Tibbs:

"Les, You'd go for method 'A' then? (with the crossover close-coupled to the power amp) - I assume the NCC200 will be stable with the crossover right at its output?"

That's the way to travel Mr. T. I have around 400mm of cable between amp and crossover then on to the runs of Black Link up to the speakers.

You assume correctly - the NCC200s are unconditionally stable as far as some pretty drastic testing can determine.

Hi Mr Tibbs,

I think I can source some 2919 at about £10-£11 per metre from France. I don't know the postage cost yet - find that out next week. I could get enough for both of us then work out the total cost per metre then post yors to you (no cost for postage).

Cheers

Graham

Mr Tibbs,

one way to look at this is to think about 0V impedances ... and it seems to me that combining methods 'A' and 'B', with a short distance between amp and XO box, should have clear advantages. I'd try to avoid the 200 mm of NACA5,

LesW said:
.... I have around 400mm of cable between amp and crossover then on to the runs of Black Link up to the speakers.
What cable do you use for this 400mm, Les?

Graham - you have PM.

Les said:
You assume correctly - the NCC200s are unconditionally stable as far as some pretty drastic testing can determine.
Good to hear that, Les.

Markus said:
one way to look at this is to think about 0V impedances ... and it seems to me that combining methods 'A' and 'B', with a short distance between amp and XO box, should have clear advantages. I'd try to avoid the 200 mm of NACA5,
Markus, you know me and my thing with 0V impedances ;)

Yes, I see what you're saying - make the short connection between the amp and XO with three separate cables. It would mean that the existing XO will have to be split into three at the input, but that should be no real problem. A sound idea, Markus, thanks.

I like the idea of the amp driving the XO directly as it should (in theory) reduce intermodulation effects between drivers. This should be quite noticable with a big 3-way like the Ergo-III's.

Mr Tibbs

I'll be interested in what you find, Mr Tibbs. Now that I have ditched Naim amps, I'm no longer constrained to NACA5 and minimum lengths of the stiff stuff, and would quite like the idea of having my passive XOs housed on the vacant shelves on my amp stand. Far neater than XO boxes on the floor, I dare say.

James

Mr Tibbs said:
make the short connection between the amp and XO with three separate cables

Or use 2919 for that, too. You could do a 'tail' from the xo to the amp and avoid a few solder links.

Markus said:
You could do a 'tail' from the xo to the amp and avoid a few solder links

Now the idea is set, I'll be thinking about how best to hook it all up.

James said:
I'll be interested in what you find, Mr Tibbs.

I was hoping you'd be interested, James. I'll be pleased if I can help point you in the direction of even better sound from the Ergo's - I owe you that at least :)

Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs said:
Now the idea is set, I'll be thinking about how best to hook it all up.
Grounding each filter's 0V at the amp directly and independently is probably best achieved with a short run of 2919. Some re-laying of the XO components might also be necessary.

I was hoping you'd be interested, James. I'll be pleased if I can help point you in the direction of even better sound from the Ergo's - I owe you that at least :)
Think nothing of it. I'll probably call on you to help implement my first active filter. But only after I've found the dosh for an extra Densen amp or two.

James

I've just ordered 10 metres of 6-core Mogami 2919 from the site that Markus linked to. It cost 180 Euros for the cable and 40 Euros postage. A total of 220 Euros or £150 in total is not too bad at all. 10 metres of the 4-core costs £10 per metre plus postage from Hifi shops in the UK.

Cheers

Graham

advertisement

Back