advertisement

Amp and speaker synergy…

You should chose pairings on how they sound, not how much they cost (within your budget of course). Listen without knowing the price if you can, more expensive kit might be better built or have more expensive parts, and may well sound better, but your ears are the final judge. If the best amp in the world cost £1, would you not buy it?

You should chose pairings on how they sound, not how much they cost (within your budget of course). Listen without knowing the price if you can, more expensive kit might be better built or have more expensive parts, and may well sound better, but your ears are the final judge. If the best amp in the world cost £1, would you not buy it?

Spot on IMO.

Anyone using a Rotel A11 or A14 MkII by the way? :)

If it works it works, I've used budget amps with more expensive speakers and vice versa. You could easily find that one £2K amp could be worse than the Rotel, it's equal or much better, I'm not convinced that price alone is much to go on. Personal preference plays a big part.

Reminds me of a visit at friends where we listed to Krell and Wilson stuff.
Rather expensive, impressive and revealing, could play loud to the level of being uncomfortable.
Impossible to listen the record to the very end.

When back home listening to my then Creek budget amp with Rega Ela budget speakers, I was happy for the experience and more my own gear, big grin.

advertisement

Back