advertisement

Amp, mic, and headphones for the hard of hearing

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
My 97 year old father is hard of hearing and struggles with his hearing aids.

Looking for a cheap, easy to use, small amp and over ear headphones and mic that might work. Anyone using such a set up? How successful was ? What was it?

Is this for an addition to hifi music or TV or both? Assuming his hearing is roughly equal in both ears, I'd say any half decent set of cans (but comfy over-ear like Senn's), and can amp will do the trick. Furthermore, if he has an integrated with jack socket, you're sorted, but you'd know that.

I use this combo for TV and music; the former esp., for dramas etc. where diction is challenged. Using it for music is also exc. and saves firing up the amplification.

Is this for an addition to hifi music or TV or both. Assuming his hearing is roughly equal in both ears, I'd say any half decent set of cans (but comfy over-ear like Senn's) and can amp will do the trick.

I use this combo for TV and music; the former esp., for dramas etc. where diction is challenged. Using it for music is also exc. and saves firing up the amplification.
Apologies, just edited post to include mic. This is just for communication. Even with his hearing aids in, he can’t hear much. Being able to speak into a mic might help. (Though if he just listened that might help too!)

Have you looked at the rnid site? I bought a second hand rnid sonico digital listener for my 99 yr old dad. I think it is now rebranded but it does seem to work for him and is versatile.

Even with his hearing aids in, he can’t hear much.
At least he can wear them. A year ago I had NHS aids. They put them on in my home and I wore them that evening with erratic success. Haven't been able to reinstate them since. Must admit that it's lack of patience with faff and can't honestly see how I can prance around with bats/racquets wearing glasses AND hearing aid. Anyway, good suggestions coming. :)

advertisement

Back