advertisement

American prog

You have to have a Phd. in Pratdom to play prog.

Jack

It's PhD. It's also not surprising that an ex music hack is so willing to dismiss all practitioners of an entire genre along with the genre itself whilst displaying such a limited comprehension of either. Depressing but not surprising.

So, English/Irish/Scottish folks tunes mix with classical and jazz, and in the hands of formally trained, rock-influenced UK musicians, the brew begets prog?

It's probably true that American rock musicians never played much prog simply because they inherited a completely different tradition.

Prog seemed to ouze out of UK public schools is it, perhaps the US equivalents didn't get enough of the elves and goblins to make it worth forming a band to sing about it?

Definitely the case that American intellectuals went a different way, perhaps Math Rock is thier equivalent there.

DS

I thought American prog was Godspeed You! Black Emperor ;-). You can't deny they are 'progressive', or?

Brilliant band BTW

Prowlas re. Hendrix I thought you were old enough to remember the 60' - Jimi was so far out it ached - prog oozed out of Public schools - love it

It's PhD. It's also not surprising that an ex music hack is so willing to dismiss all practitioners of an entire genre along with the genre itself whilst displaying such a limited comprehension of either. Depressing but not surprising.

Ooops, yeah the D is in caps. I should have known that.

I did a pHd ... actually it was a D.Phil at one of the better known universities.

I have seen and heard quite a lot of prog bands.

Friends of mine used to play their albums constantly and prattle on about them.

I didn't like them then and don't like them now.

One of the main characteristics of prog seems to be its complete lack of soul.

At the moment I am writing a long feature on Gong.

I've interviewed all of the members of the classic Seventies Gong that are still alive, except for one.

Were they a prog band?

No. A few of them left when Pierre Moerlen took over the band from '76 onwards precisely because he was turning Gong into a prog band.

Jack

I thought American prog was Godspeed You! Black Emperor ;-). You can't deny they are 'progressive', or?

Brilliant band BTW

GYBE not Prog is it, I would say more Post - than that.

No pixies or elves either.

DS

Prog seemed to ouze out of UK public schools is it, perhaps the US equivalents didn't get enough of the elves and goblins to make it worth forming a band to sing about it?

Definitely the case that American intellectuals went a different way, perhaps Math Rock is thier equivalent there.

DS

Self Correction: I count The Grateful Dead as Prog without Elves, but still bad is it.

DS

"I've interviewed all of the members of the classic Seventies Gong that are still alive, except for one."

What a nice bunch of hominoids you will have met - and what an extensive and cooperative bunch,

Gong - I like them more than I now like their music - but Im glad about that too, Gong not Prog bumper stickers are available.

Whoever said uSA bands were prone to Maths Prog - good point even some jazz and funkster went that way -

<We interrupt this discussion to bring you 5:45 of grain-fed, USDA-approved American prog>

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BC2Y-OaFcGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BC2Y-OaFcGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

But who knew? WHO? Nostradamus? Da Vinci? Einstein? R. Crumb (wait, not dead yet)? In order for this to be true prog, "he" would have to be an elf/dwarf/gnome/hobbit, I reckon.

PS - Kerry Livgren's guitar tone here is too good for prog.
PPS - There's a videotape glitch near the end, but I doubt anyone will make it that far.

<Resume discussion.>

Self Correction: I count The Grateful Dead as Prog without Elves, but still bad is it.

DS

In spirit, maybe, but Jerry was too stuck in myxolydian mode to earn a genuine prog merit badge. Maybe hippie prog? Roots prog? Can there be such a thing? Should there be?

Was some of Hendrix's stuff prog?

Yes! Jimmy was a prog god.

Where would prog be without:

c779510l797.jpg

During the prog-rock era, there were precious few American acts working in that genre. Styx and Kansas and even REO may have had some early prog leanings, you could tell they listened to prog, but they were really just radio rock. There were some small regional acts trying to be the Great American Prog Band such as Leviathan and Ethos/Ardor, but they didn't get very far.

advertisement

Back