advertisement

Amberley Museum

fiveamp

pfm Member
Visited this place in Sussex a few days ago and was delighted to find an old radio shed not mentioned in my tourist book. A few pics:

parrot.jpg

radiopile.jpg

Mostly radio/communications stuff but a bit of hi-fi as well. The rest of the place is pretty good too.

I see an old Dynatron music centre complete with GL75 on the left next to the Quad 33! Ah, the 303 is on the floor in front of it... amazing how out of place (ie modern) the Quad stuff looks compared to everything else.

And of course I took bigger pics of the Dynatron and Leaks:

dynatron.jpg

leaks.jpg

For some reason I don't understand I am lusting after something like that Dynatron.

I went to the Amberley museum over 20 years ago. It is an interesting place for anyone who likes to see the historic industries. The surrounding villages are beautiful.

Before I left the museum exit, I found a house full of vintage valves and radios. I didn't see the above display of old valve amps. There were many radio amateur magazines from the 50s and 60s for free. I made a donation and took away a few of these magazines which I have kept.

There is also a 'radio room' at the Wings aviation museum just south of Crawley, Sussex.
Lots of interesting WW2 aero stuff, including a set of Merlin engines from a crashed bomber. They have restored one and run it up occasionally.

And of course I took bigger pics of the Dynatron and Leaks:

dynatron.jpg

leaks.jpg

For some reason I don't understand I am lusting after something like that Dynatron.

Actually very good! There's the GL75 TT of course but inside it is a Dynatron designed and made receiver of top quality for the time. I had the version without the tuner for a while and wish I hadn't flogged it!
It's about 40 -50 WPC RMS, huge mains transformer, 2N3055 output transistors on large heatsinks etc and up to Leak, Goodmans, Sugden type quality. It weighs a bloody ton!

advertisement

Back