advertisement

Amazon Vinyl Of The Month Club

https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon-vinyl-of-the-month-club-promises-golden-era-record-delivery

Looks like it's US only at the moment, I'm guessing if it works well then it's only a matter of time before it hits our shores

Don't think it's for me but might be of interest to some?

Probably aimed at a different demographic than folks that frequent this forum
When I was a kid there was a club you got a monthly catalogue through and the record of the month if you forgot to uncheck the form, all done by post - can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.

Britannia. The Room 101 of music shopping.

Extremely-Rare-Vintage-Magazine-Britannia-Music-Club-Spice.jpg

The Britannia CD club used to have an "Editors Choice" that if you didn't tick you got automatically

fell foul of that a few times, think I ended up with The Fugees and Kula Shaker :eek:

Saw this yesterday on twitter and had a right laugh looking at the Amazon blurb.

The pressings will likely be not so great at a time when you can still get originals, or close to originals (similar era) for the same money or much less. If you want new then you can just google "classic albums of the 60s and 70s" and pay about £25 apiece from Amazon. And personally, I cannot stand "The Wall", and much less every other pub bloke of a certain age here in the West Midlands who on finding out you like music, must introduce you to a little known act called Pink Floyd, or Led Zep etc.

Who is this for? I'm not sure. Maybe these pub blokes, maybe Amazon are being very shrewd. Reportedly pressing well-known classic albums like this en masse is going to jam vinyl production for new acts within a year, already there are huge backlogs, with various aspects of the current global situation playing a part in addition.

Who is this for?

My guess is it will do OK with younger listeners or people who want to get back into listening on vinyl. I'd always take a (cheaper!) original copy but a lot of people aren't interesting in buying second hand records. As @fegs says probably not your average hi-fi forum member.

From what I can tell these aren't new editions pressed for Amazon, they're just recent issues of titles - one of the reviews mentions getting the 2015 pressing of London Calling. Bit of a shame - other clubs like Vinyl Me Please do a lot of coloured vinyl which makes it a bit more fun.

My guess is it will do OK with younger listeners or people who want to get back into listening on vinyl. I'd always take a (cheaper!) original copy but a lot of people aren't interesting in buying second hand records. As @fegs says probably not your average hi-fi forum member.

From what I can tell these aren't new editions pressed for Amazon, they're just recent issues of titles - one of the reviews mentions getting the 2015 pressing of London Calling. Bit of a shame - other clubs like Vinyl Me Please do a lot of coloured vinyl which makes it a bit more fun.
Makes sense, youngsters with a reasonable amount of spare money could get into vinyl through this. Loved picking up a coloured 7" for a couple of quid when I was young, those days are gone in so many ways.

advertisement

Back