advertisement

Amazon producing LOTR 'Soap Opera'

Not sure about this...

Yes the budget is huge, but then so was the budget for the recent LOTR movies and they weren't a patch on the original trilogy.

Still, I live in hope.

Not sure about this...

Yes the budget is huge, but then so was the budget for the recent LOTR movies and they weren't a patch on the original trilogy.

Still, I live in hope.

max.

i imagine you must have been about 12 when the original trilogy came out. i think if you watch it again, you'll see how awful it is.

max.

i imagine you must have been about 12 when the original trilogy came out. i think if you watch it again, you'll see how awful it is.

What original trilogy? There was an amazing BBC Radio adaptation (still unmatched) and a very odd animated part adaptation. Nothing before Peter Jackson's film(s) that I am aware of.

Maybe this is Max’s way of saying the books were better.

Joe

What original trilogy? There was an amazing BBC Radio adaptation (still unmatched) and a very odd animated part adaptation. Nothing before Peter Jackson's film(s) that I am aware of.

My introduction to Tolkien was the earlier production of the Hobbit. This was about 1968, I remember listening to it on a old valve radio in my bed on Sunday nights.

Must be about time to reread the books, I have read them several times since reading LOTR while I was in second year at Heriot-Watt.

I think its fair to say the jackson ones were universally appreciated and very well done, but of course there has to be a cohort of people that express how they disliked what everyone else liked, just so they can remain apart.

I think a lot of people remember their teenage readings of the LOTR books through rose-tinted glasses... yes the books are wonderful for the imaginative scope, but they can be fairly clunky at times, especially the dialogue.

As for Jackson's films -
1 - Wonderful
2 - very good, especially the faith vs hope theme
3 - an episodic gallop through the storyline with a hugely overdriven & over-bearing soundtrack. A bit of a shame after the first two. Has quite a few good moments though.

I think a lot of people remember their teenage readings of the LOTR books through rose-tinted glasses... yes the books are wonderful for the imaginative scope, but they can be fairly clunky at times, especially the dialogue.

As for Jackson's films -
1 - Wonderful
2 - very good, especially the faith vs hope theme
3 - an episodic gallop through the storyline with a hugely overdriven & over-bearing soundtrack. A bit of a shame after the first two. Has quite a few good moments though.

Your summary of the films is how I remember the books. I love the story as a whole but I especially loved the first book.

I started this thread because my limited experience of Amazon productions is that they seem patchy best. It seemed to me that there was a danger that Amazon would turn LOTR into the Archers with Hobbits. Thinking about it, I like the Archers so maybe that would be a good thing!

Amazon Studios, which bought the rights to the television series two years ago, said the new adaptation will explore fresh story lines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Fellowship of the Ring.

Amazon Studios, which bought the rights to the television series two years ago, said the new adaptation will explore fresh story lines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Fellowship of the Ring.

I saw that. Will be interesting to see if they tackle The Silmarillion stories. Plenty of ideas there

Must be about time to reread the books, I have read them several times since reading LOTR while I was in second year at Heriot-Watt.

Can I recommend you get the BBC radio dramatisation. It is very faithful to the books and a wonderful listen if you have a (several) long journey(s). I listened to it recently whilst training for a half marathon.

Can I recommend you get the BBC radio dramatisation. It is very faithful to the books and a wonderful listen if you have a (several) long journey(s). I listened to it recently whilst training for a half marathon.
Ditto and its available on Cassette or CD.

I listened to them when they were first broadcast and have the tapes. As the quote goes: "the pictures are better on the radio".

We're all unique individuals, Vuk, so like different things.

but we live in a common culture and can make judgments about the relative value of things. are you really contending that the LOTR films were not primarily aimed at children/teens? can you defend the omni-present muzak that just won't go away? it was ultimately the pan flute kitsch that put me over the edge.

but we live in a common culture and can make judgments about the relative value of things. are you really contending that the LOTR films were not primarily aimed at children/teens? can you defend the omni-present muzak that just won't go away? it was ultimately the pan flute kitsch that put me over the edge.
Vuk, it doesn't matter if they were aimed at children/teens, I greatly enjoyed watching those movies when they came out, and that's all that matters.

I have never seen the films but I imagine this new TV show cannot possibly be as bad as the books.

advertisement

Back